Broner sees nothing special about Gesta
By Chris Williams: If unbeaten lightweight contender Mercito Gesta (26-0-1, 14 KO’s) wants to fight former WBO super featherweight champion and HBO darling Adrien Broner (24-0, 20 KO’s), Gesta is going to have to build up more bank from his fights and establish a name for himself for Broner to bother fighting the guy.
Broner told writer Ben Thompson from Fighthype.com “This little Filipino dude, man, he’s not impressive at all. There’s nothing special about him. I went to sleep by the 3rd round.”
Broner is talking about Gesta’s dull mismatch fight against Ty Barnett last Friday night on Friday Night Fights. The fight wasn’t even a competitive one to begin with because Gesta was matched up against 2nd tier fighter instead of an actual contender. Gesta ended up hitting Barnett with arm punches all night long while plodding around flat-footed and looking mediocre as heck. It wasn’t impressive and I saw in that performance that Gesta is going to be in big trouble if he ever faces anyone good in the lightweight division. Who knows when that’ll be.
Supposedly, Gesta’s promoter Bob Arum wants to match him up against IBF lightweight champion Miguel Vazquez soon. I hope for Gesta’s sake Arum doesn’t do that because Vazquez, a long-armed fighter that is almost impossible to hit, will school Gesta something fierce. It won’t even be a fight.
Broner doesn’t want to waste time against lower level guys like Gesta and Hank Lundy. Instead, Broner wants to fight the top guys like Juan Manuel Marquez, Antonio DeMarco and Ricky Burns. Those are the fighters with the belts and Broner knows that the money is in fighting one of those guys, not going backwards with his career and fighting a struggling guy who throws arm punches and who still hasn’t faced anyone good after all these years.
More Boxing News:
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Adrien Broner staying RETIRED until he gets $10 million
- Adrien Broner DEMANDS $10M from Al Haymon and Showtime for next fight
- Will Floyd Mayweather fight Adrien Broner?
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson
- Errol Spence GLOATING on taking Keith Thurman’s spot at the top of 147 lb division
- Gervonta Davis days with Mayweather Promotions could be numbered