Arum to meet with Pacquiao on Monday in the Philippines to decide next opponent for 11/10
By Chris Williams: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is going to be flying to the Philippines to meet with his number #1 money fighter Manny Pacquiao to decide who the Filipino star will be facing in his next fight on November 10th. There’s not a whole lot of guys that Pacquiao and Arum will be picking from this time around, so it’s not as if there’s any real mystery about who’ll be next for Pac.
It’s going to be either a revenge bout against WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley or a fourth fight against Juan Manuel Marquez. It’s kind of predictable who Pacquiao will be facing. He’s got all those followers in the Philippines all over the world giving him tons of praise all the time. He’s not going to be able to let Bradley walk away with a victory like the one he got over Pacquiao last June. I see Pacquiao’s ego kicking in and causing him to push Arum for the Bradley rematch. Arum, however, sees things in terms of which is the bigger fighter and that easily goes to the Marquez rematch. Bradley doesn’t have much of a fan base and Pacquiao’s recent Pay per view bout against him didn’t even draw 1 million PPV buys.
That’s a rarity nowadays for Pacquiao and a clear sign that the Bradley fight wasn’t an appealing one for fans. I’m not even sure if the rematch would do any better because a lot of boxing fans have it in their heads that Pacquiao should have won that fight and got robbed. I disagree with that, but you can’t convince fans that a second fight between them will be any better than the first.
Arum told Dan Rafael at ESPN “I gotta tell Manny what I can afford for each fight and we need to talk about each fight but he makes his own decision.”
It sounds like Arum is going to try and talk some dollars and sense into Pacquiao’s head to make him understand that the money for a Bradley fight won’t be as good as a Marquez rematch. In that case I think Pacquiao might change his mind and choose Marquez.
More Boxing News:
- Keith Thurman: I DESERVE a rematch with Manny Pacquiao
- Keith Thurman: Spence is going to have to see me at 147 or leave the division
- Jose Ramirez: Mikey Garcia hits harder than Manny Pacquiao
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Mikey Garcia has Manny Pacquiao at top of his list for his next opponent
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez looking shaky for October 3
- Hearn offered 4 options to Canelo Alvarez, still NO reply
- Marriaga vs. Yap CANCELLED; Felix Verdejo and Will Madera make weight
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Fanlong Meng on September 25 in Ekaterinburg in Russia
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr