By Dan Ambrose: Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) thinks that he took the harder road by signing on to challenge WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) than if he were to have faced Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Manny Pacquiao for his next fight.
Those two superstars rejected Khan as an opponent, and instead they went with other fighters. Mayweather ended his career last September against Andre Berto, whereas Pacquiao is fighting Tim Bradley (33-1-1, 13 KOs) on April 9. Bradley just vacated his WBO 147lb title, so that takes a lot of the interest out of the fight for me.
“I’m going to be a little bit smaller than Canelo,” Khan said. “Canelo is known as a dangerous guy that not a lot of people want to fight and a lot of people avoid. I am one guy that said, ‘I’ll fight.’ I could have taken the easy route. If I had taken Mayweather and Pacquiao, it would have been an easier fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) believes that Bob Arum, the promoter for Manny Pacquiao, made a mistake in failing to sign him for Pacquiao’s next opponent on April 9. Arum had the chance of getting Khan as Pacquiao’s next opponent for a fight that likely would have made huge money on HBO PPV.
Instead of doing that, Arum went with one of his own Top Rank stable fighters in WBO 147lb champion Tim Bradley as Pacquiao’s next opponent. Pacquiao has already fought Bradley twice previously, and there is not much interest from the fans in seeing a third fight between them.
In the meantime, Khan will be fighting WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) on May 7 on HBO pay-per-view from the T-Mobile Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Khan expects his fight against Canelo will bring in more PPV buys than the Pacquiao-Bradley 3 fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions is interested in matching his fighter IBF/IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (34-0, 31 KOs) up with WBA “regular” middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs (31-1, 28 KOs) in the near future.
Jacobs, 28, is coming off of a career best win in stopping former WBO 160lb champion Peter Quillin in the 1st round last December in the “Battle of Brooklyn” at the Barclays Center in New York. Earlier this week, Loeffler negotiated a fight between Golovkin and #3 IBF contender Dominic Wade (18-0, 12 KOs). Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says HBO didn’t reject Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) as an opponent for Manny Pacquiao’s next and perhaps final fight of his career on April 9 on HBO PPV. Arum says he was told by them that WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley was a more difficult opponent for Pacquiao, and a fighter that would bring in more sales than Khan or Terence Crawford.
Arum said previously that the cable and satellite distributors had rejected Khan as an opponent for Pacquiao. If that’s the case, then it’s going to be bad if the Khan vs. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez fight brings in many more pay-per-view buys than the Pacquiao-Bradley fight on HBO PPV. Read the rest of this entry »
By Francisco Gurrola: Recently in my last article titled “Canelo with edge over Cotto,” I clearly described the way the fight would play out; to my surprise, it was quite accurate. It is no science to have the ability to read a fighter for his accomplishments. Looking at what WBC Middleweight Champ Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has accomplished recently it is evident that the young Mexican fighter has earned a spot at the top of boxing today.
Come May 7th, 2016, we will be evidencing a great match up between Amir “King” Khan and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in a fight televised by HBO Championship Boxing at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Amir “King” Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) isn’t too sure whether he should keep going at middleweight if he defeats WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) on May 7 in their catch-weight fight at 155lbs. If Khan defeats Canelo, he would be forced to defend his WBC middleweight title in his next fight against WBC mandatory challenger Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (34-0, 31 KOs).
While Khan is good with fighting the “flat-footed” Canelo, as he describes him, he does not seem too eager to step inside the ring and face Golovkin in what could be his next fight. In other words, there are limits to how far Khan wants to go in the middleweight division.
Fighting a flawed, slow-footed Canelo is something that Khan is not that worried about. But fighting a guy with one punch-power like Golovkin, that seems to be a step too far for Khan. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Kathy Duva, the promoter for unbeaten light heavyweight contender Sullivan Barrera (17-0, 12 KOs) and IBF/WBA/WBO 175lb champion Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev, says that Andre Ward (28-0, 15 KOs) will be fighting twice before his November fight against Kovalev.
Duva says it’s Ward’s plans to get in two interim fights before he faces Kovalev. Duva thinks this is a risky thing for Ward to do because it means there are two chances that he can get beaten before he ever gets to a fight against Kovalev.
The thing is if Ward loses to anyone before November, then that means there will not be a Kovalev-Ward fight. Duva would obviously be happy if one of her Main Events fighters like Barrera is the guy that beats Ward. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: While unbeaten IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (25-0, 18 KOs) has been flapping his gums lately about whether he should continue pro career or not, he’s now saying that his family are like horses in that they were designed to be fighters.
It is interesting that Fury says that because born fighters do not usually talk about retiring at the age of 27 the way that he is doing. That kind of thing gives some fans the impression that Fury wants to retire before he’s found out and exposed as not being as good as he might think he is. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Former WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (28-0, 15 KOs) admits that he’s starting to slow down as a fighter in the ring now that he’s getting older at 31-years-old. Ward, who has fought only three times in the last five years, is facing one of the best light heavyweights in the division next month in fighting unbeaten Cuban Sullivan Barrera (17-0, 12 KOs) on March 26 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.
Ward sees himself in the same situation as Floyd Mayweather Jr. was in during the last part of his career after he moved up to the welterweight division. Mayweather didn’t/couldn’t move around the ring as he had when he was fighting at super featherweight, lightweight and light welterweight.
Mayweather had to be stationary compared to earlier in his career. While Mayweather says he intentionally stood in the pocket in order to please his fans, it was clear that he was forced to do it because his old legs could not move him around as they previously had. Read the rest of this entry »
By Tim Fletcher: Earlier this week, 47-year-old Roy Jones Jr. (62-9, 45 KOs) was expected to announce his retirement from the sport. However, he still hasn’t pulled the trigger by making an announcement. According to Russian news reports, Jones Jr. was going to hang up his gloves this week following his fourth round knockout loss to Enzo Maccarinelli last December in Moscow.
It was obviously an embarrassing moment for Jones Jr. because he had just been granted Russian citizenship without having to give up his American citizenship. The Russian fans flocked to see Jones Jr. fight Maccarinelli, but were greeted by an old and decrepit looking Jones, who did little more than fight with his back against the ropes for four rounds in the process of being stopped. Read the rest of this entry »