Eubank Jr looks to prove himself against Saunders tonight
By Scott Gilfoid: Unbeaten #9 WBO middleweight contender Chris Eubank Jr (18-0, 13 KOs) will be looking to prove himself tonight against #2 WBO, #3 WBC, #8 IBF, #12 WBA Billy Joe Saunders (20-0, 11 KOs) in their 12 round fight at the Excel Arena in London, UK.
The winner of the Eubank Jr-Saunders fight will be taking on the winner of the Andy Lee vs. Matt Korobov fight next year for the WBO middleweight title.
Eubank Jr will be taking a big step up in class tonight against the 25-year-old Saunders, and we’re still not sure if Eubank Jr will be up to the mark. He looks good enough to beat Saunders, but there’s no way of knowing if he’ll be able to hang with him tonight given how horrible Eubank Jr’s opposition has been during his brief three year pro career.
We do know that Eubank Jr’s father Chris Eubank Sr believes in him, as he feels that he could beat WBA champion Gennady Golovkin if given the chance. Surely, Eubank Jr should be able to breeze his way past the likes of Saunders if he truly has the skills to beat Golovkin.
Unfortunately, the bragging that Eubank Sr has been doing about his son doesn’t meet
reality. Eubank Jr looks to be a decent domestic level fighter, but he doesn’t look anywhere near the same level as Golovkin.
That doesn’t mean that Eubank Jr won’t be able to handle Saunders tonight if he can get him into a war. Saunders is very, very beatable, and I won’t be surprised in the least that an inexperienced guy like Eubank Jr will be able. I mean, if Saunders couldn’t even beat the likes of John Ryder without controversy then someone like Eubank Jr will have a good chance of beating Saunders as well. I had Ryder beating Saunders in their fight in September. Saunders was given the win by the scores of 115-114, 115-113 and 115-113.
More Boxing News:
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight
- Saunders wants Canelo to take a pay cut
- Billy Joe Saunders no longer wants Canelo Alvarez fight
- Billy Joe Saunders considering retirement – AGAIN
- Saunders 3 options if no Canelo fight: Callum, Andrade & Eubank Jr
- Michael Hunter: I’d STOP Dillian Whyte; I beat Tyson Fury bad
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback