Mayweather-Pacquiao fight likely won’t happen until Pacquiao beats Marquez
By Chris Williams: Floyd Mayweather Jr sent a message this week when he sent an Instagram message showing Pacquiao being knocked down and out by Juan Manuel Marquez from their fight in 2012.
Mayweather didn’t include any wording or verbal message with his Instagram, but it seemed pretty clear that he was sending a message that would indicate that Pacquiao still has unfinished business with the 41-year-old Marquez before he can start talking about wanting to fight him.
The problem with Pacquiao fighting Marquez again is that he would likely need to give Marquez a 50-50 deal before a fight between them could take place. That’s not going to happen. Pacquiao clearly won’t give Marquez a 50-50 deal. I doubt that Pacquiao would even give Marquez a 76/24 deal like last time, even though Pacquiao was knocked out by Marquez in the 6th round in that fight in 2012.
Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach and promoter Bob Arum have been talking a great deal about a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight ever since Pacquiao defeated the made to order Chris Algieri last Saturday night in Macau, China.
If Arum and Roach are going to continue to talk up a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, they might want to look to set up a fifth fight between Pacquiao and Marquez instead. If they’re serious about wanting to match Pacquiao up against Mayweather, then they need to do anything they can to give Pacquiao a chance to avenge the loss to Marquez, because right now I don’t believe Mayweather is going to waste time fighting Pacquiao given his recent loss to Marquez.
Pacquiao has two controversial wins and a controversial draw against Marquez. You can make a strong argument that Pacquiao was beaten in all four of his fights against Marquez. For that reason, I don’t see there being any real reason for Mayweather to fight Pacquiao. If Pacquiao isn’t good enough to beat Marquez without controversy then why should Mayweather waste his time fighting him?
More Boxing News:
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey