Garcia: Maidana will throw 100 punches per round against Broner
By Allan Fox: Robert Garcia, the trainer for #2 WBA, Marcos Maidana (34-3, 31 KO’), has revealed their plan to try and defeat WBA welterweight champion Adrien Broner (27-0, 22 KO’s) on December 14th on Showtime at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Garcia says that Maidana will throw 100 punch per round and all of them will be power punches. The theory is that if each one of Maidana’s 100 punches are thrown with major power, Broner can’t win the rounders by throwing fewer but cleaner landing punches.
Garcia said to esnewsreporting “Every punch has to be hard. That’s the way he [Maidana] is. We’ll just be ready to throw 100 punches per round and they’re all going to be hard.”
If Maidana is going to throw 100 shots per rounds then Broner is going to have to come up with a plan to try and negate this, because he’s not the type of fighter that is capable of throwing a lot of punches. Even if Broner wanted to throw 80-100 punches per round, he’s probably not capable of throwing that many shots because his body doesn’t let him. Broner is a pot shot fighter in the Floyd Mayweather Jr. mode where he throws an occasional clean-landing punch, and then he lets his defense do the rest of the work.
Broner’s been able to get away with this low punch volume style of fighting because his power was good enough in the lightweight division to stop his opponents that threw more shots than him. However, now that Broner has moved up to the welterweight division, his power isn’t good enough for him to stop the top welterweights in the division.
That’s going to put Broner at a huge disadvantage against Maidana because he punches harder than Broner, and he throws a lot more of them as well. If Maidana can stay close to Broner while throwing 80-100 punches per rounds then there’s no way that Broner will be able to beat him without adding a lot of movement to his game. Despite patterning his game after Mayweather Jr., Broner doesn’t have his movement, and isn’t capable of moving like him due to his stocky physique. This means that Broner is going to be stuck having to exchange with Maidana for 12 rounds. The best that Broner can hope for in that case is to maybe hurt Maidana with a body shot the way that Josesito Lopez and Amir Khan were able to do to him.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner
- VIDEO: Featherweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 3
- Teofimo Lopez to be made ‘Franchise champion’ if he beats Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020