Gervonta Davis cleared of domestic battery charge, Florida prosecutors drop case
By Chris Williams: Gervonta Davis has been cleared of his domestic battery charge by the Florida prosecutors after the female who reported this opted not to prosecute the unbeaten superstar.
The Baltimore Banner reports that the female doesn’t wish to go forward with the prosecution of the 28-year-old.
With this incident out of the way, Gervonta can continue his career without worrying about jail time.
The Baltimore native, promoted by Floyd Mayweather Jr’s company though most of his career is coming off a huge win over Ryan Garcia on April 22nd in a seventh round knockout victory on DAZN & Showtime PPV.
Last year, ‘Tank’ Davis (29-0, 27 KOs) was placed under arrest by the Broward County Sheriff’s office on December 22 following a report from a female at his mansion that she’d been slapped on the head, causing an injury to her lip.
Tank Davis is one of the two names that undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney mentioned after his win over Vasily Lomachenko last Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Gervonta Davis’ long-time coach Calvin Ford thinks Haney doesn’t want the fight against Tank and will likely head North by moving up to the 140-lb division.
Team Tank is waiting on PPV numbers for Haney’s fight
“They [Team Haney] really don’t want that fight, to tell you the truth,” Ford told ESNEWS about his belief that Haney doesn’t want to fight Gervonta next.
“He’s talking about going back up to 140. They said they’d stay there  if they get a chance to fight Tank, but I think after that performance with the shots that Lomachenko was hitting him with.
“There was a lot of stuff in that corner that they weren’t even doing, but I have to salute Devin. He did a great job and had a great show, which was a great pay-per-view. I’m waiting on the [PPV] numbers and stuff to see if it makes sense [for Tank Davis to fight Haney next],” said Ford.
The PPV numbers for Haney vs. Lomachenko should be good, considering all the fan interest in the week of their fight. There hadn’t been this amount of buzz in a contest since Gervonta’s well-publicized fight against Ryan Garcia.
If Ford is expecting massive PPV numbers for the Haney-Lomachenko event, he could be disappointed because it wasn’t that type of a match-up. Haney had never headlined on PPV and was going up against a guy many boxing fans saw as being old & past it.
- Leonard Ellerbe says Tank vs. Shakur or Haney not big fights
- Gervonta Davis’ coach says “Something big coming” for Tank’s next fight
- Leonard Ellerbe on Gervonta Davis: “He’s top dog & calls shots,” Shakur can’t make an offer
- Leonard Ellberbe not sure if Tank Davis will fight again in 2023