Julio Cesar Martinez vs. McWilliams Arroyo = a GOOD fight on Aug.15
By Jeff Aronow: Matchroom Boxing announced on Monday that WBC flyweight champion Julio Cesar Martinez would be making a defense against 2008 Olympian McWilliams Arroyo on August 15 on DAZN in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It’s an exciting location for Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn to stage his fight card, as there aren’t a lot of notable boxing events that take place in Oklahoma.
While a lot of fans unhappy with Martinez facing #1 WBC McWilliams Arroyo (20-4, 15 KOs), this is a good fight. Arroyo, 34, has a lot of talent, and he’s a lot better than his record would have you believe.
In February 2018, Arroyo defeated former super flyweight champion Carlos Cuadras by a 10 round majority decision at the Forum in Inglewood, California. Few boxing fans gave Arroyo a chance going into the contest, but he surprised them by getting the better of Cuadras.
Martinez must impress
Julio Cesar Martinez (16-1, 12 KOs) needs an excellent performance following his close win over Jay Harris last February. Martinez, 25, will need to fight a lot better than that for him to beat a skilled guy like Arroyo.
Martinez won the vacant WBC 112-lb title last December with a ninth-round knockout win over Cristofer Rosales. Since then, Martinez has made one defense of the title with his win over Jay Harris.
Julio Cesar Martinez wants to unify
Recently there were rumors that Martinez would be facing WBA flyweight champion Artem Dalakian next in a unification fight, but that’s not going to be happening. If Martinez beats Arroyo, then a battle with Dalakian or one of the other 112-lb champion is possible.
“I am so happy to be back in the ring again and I promise you another war on August 15,” said Martinez. “With the unification fights ahead of me, it is important to take care of my mandatory challengers and I expect a tough fight with Arroyo.”
Arroyo, who comes from Puerto Rico, has won his last three fights in beating Carlos Buitrago, Carlos Maldonado, and Juan Gabriel Medina. The last time Arroyo was beaten was against Kazuto Ioka in 2018.
“I believe 2020 and 2021 will see me unify and become undisputed, and I can’t wait put a smile back on boxing fans faces,” said Martinez.
Click here to for our updated boxing schedule
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Martinez vs. McWilliams Arroyo = a GOOD fight on Aug.15
- Martinez – Arroyo & Braekhus – McCaskill on August 15 on DAZN
- Julio Cesar Martinez vs. Artem Dalakian on August 15 in China
- Julio Cesar Martinez to fight in July, and then September
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Derevyanchenko receives offers from Canelo and Jermall Charlo
- Buddy McGirt: Ryan Garcia isn’t ready for Gervonta Davis
- Yordenis Ugas vs. Abel Ramos for vacant WBA 147-lb title, Besputin stripped
- Billy Joe Saunders: Eubank Jr is NEVER going to be world champ
- John Ryder hoping to get Canelo Alvarez for September