Maidana says he’s not under contract with Mayweather Promotions or Golden Boy
By Allan Fox: Former two division champion Marcos Maidana (35-5, 32 KOs) announced earlier today that he’s not under contract with Golden Boy Promotions or Mayweather Promotions. Maidana, however, is with Al Haymon, his manager, and he’s the one that helps guide his career.
That could be a positive or a negative depending on how Haymon plans on using Maidana in 2015. Thus far, Maidana has really lucked out in his last three fights because he’s fought Floyd Mayweather twice and Adrien Broner. You can’t get much better than that.
“Chino Maidana’s promotional agreement with Golden Boy Promotions ended almost a year ago!! There is not contract that ties him to Mayweather Promotions either. Clarified,” Maidana said on his twitter account.
If Maidana isn’t with Golden Boy or Mayweather Promotions, it really doesn’t matter because Haymon is likely the one who is selecting the opponents for Maidana. He’s obviously doing pretty well with the fights he’d had recently.
The question is will stay like this or will Maidana now find himself fighting a much of fringe guys like the fighters that Amir Khan and Keith Thurman have been facing the last couple of years.
If Haymon was picking those guys to protect Khan and Thurman, then you can understand it, because both guys have shaky chins. However, if Haymon was setting them up in these mismatches in order to just set up easy fights for simple paydays without risk, then that’s bad for the boxing fans. It might be good for Khan and Thurman, but it’s definitely not good for the fans.
Maidana has options available to him in 2015 if Haymon is willing to match him tough. Ruslan Provodnikov and Thurman are just two options. However, Maidana wants to fight Manny Pacquiao and that doesn’t seem all that likely to happen given that Haymon doesn’t work with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum.
If Maidana gets stuck fighting Thurman, it’s not going to be a big fight and there’s going to be a whole lot of risk involved due to Thurman’s tendency to move a lot around the ring
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Marcos Maidana showing off SIX-Pack abs
- Marcos Maidana looking solid in training for comeback
- Mayweather denies having a tooth knocked out by Maidana
- Marcos Maidana trimming down for exhibition match
- Redkach wants Adrien Broner on Tank vs. Santa Cruz undercard
- Jeff Horn vs. Tim Tszyu on August 26 in Townsville, Australia
- Tank Davis to stream sparring session with Ivan Redkach on Monday
- Alexander Povetkin ready for Dillian Whyte
- Vergil Ortiz Jr in a hurry to face Terence Crawford