Firat Arslan faces Yoan Pablo Hernandez on August 16th
By Scott Gilfoid: 43-year-old Firat Arslan (34-7-2, 21 KO’s) has lost 2 out of his last 4 fights, and is no longer ranked in the top 20 in the cruiserweight division, but on August 16th he’ll be getting a world title shot anyway against the German based IBF cruiserweight champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez (28-1, 14 KO’s) at the Messehalle, Erfurt, Thüringen, Germany.
Why the IBF is sanctioning this fight is beyond me because when a fighter has lost 2 out of his last 4 fights like Arslan has, he should at least have to fight his way into contention for another world title shot. Arslan was beaten by WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck in December of 2012 in losing by a 12 round decision.
Promoter Kalle Sauerland said “Confirmed: IBF World Championship: Pablo Hernandez v Firat Arslan, August 16, Erfurt, Germany. Another blockbuster at Cruiserweight!”
Following a win over Varol Vekiloglu, Arslan then was knocked out by Huck last January in a rematch. Arslan came back to defeat Hungarian journeyman Tamas Bajzath (9-11-1, 5 KO’s) by an 8 round decision earlier this month. Now after that empty win, Arlsan is getting another shot at a world title.
If Arslan loses this fight, then it’s going to be really tough for the sanctioning bodies to let Arslan get another shot at a world title without him beating a credible contender. Ideally, the IBF should have said no to the Hernandez-Arslan fight given that the 43-year-old had been given 2 world title shots in his last 4 fights and lost them both. The IBF should have pointed out to Arslan’s promoters that he needs to fight some credible opposition before he gets another world title fight, because if you have the same guy getting title shot after title shot without beating anyone credible in between, it looks bad for the other top contenders who are getting skipped over.
This will be Arslan’s 3rd world title fight in his last 5 fights, and that’s pretty startling given how he’s done in those fights.
- Where Have All the Cuban World Champs Gone?
- Yoan Pablo Hernandez stripped of IBF title, Ramirez now champion
- Yoan Pablo Hernandez vs. Victor Emilio Ramirez on October 2nd in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Tony Bellew will fight for a world title in October or November, says Hearn