Ward: I’d like to knock Froch out next time
By Scott Gilfoid: WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (26-0, 14 KO’s) has no idea why IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch (31-2, 22 KO’s) keeps mentioning his name as if he wants to fight him, but then makes demands that he knows Ward will never meet, such as telling him that the fight must take place in England.
Ward says the only interest he has in fighting Froch a second time is to shut his yapper by knocking him out.
Ward said to RingTV “I would look forward to the rematch from the standpoint of just silencing Froch…with two good hands, I would look to stop him the second time around. I would look stop him the second time around.”
I think Ward would stop Froch the second time around, especially if he uses that 360 turn where he misses a punches badly and then completely turns all the way around by spinning. I saw Froch use that one against Mikkel Kessler recently in his narrow win over the Dane. If Froch tried that bit against Ward, he’d be knocked out cold in no time.
Ward says he would prefer to fight former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. rather than Froch again because he’s never fought the Mexican warrior and he thinks it would be a lot more interesting. I agree with him. We already know what the Froch-Ward II outcome would likely be. We don’t know how Ward would do against a fighter with the kind of inside fighting skills that Chavez Jr. has.
The fight would likely be much more competitive than the Froch-Ward fight, and it would be a lot more interesting to U.S fans because Chavez Jr. has a much bigger following in the United States than Froch does. It would bring in huge ratings and I could see a lot of boxing fans looking forward to this fight.
Unfortunately, I can’t see the fight ever happening because I doubt that Chavez Jr. or his promoter Bob Arum would ever agree to fighting someone as talented as Andre Ward. It would be like Chavez Jr. agreeing to fight a better version of Sergio Martinez.
More Boxing News:
- Andre Ward doesn’t see Anthony Joshua beating Tyson Fury
- Anthony Joshua responds to Carl Froch’s complaining about P4P list
- Carl Froch NOT interested in Andre Ward rematch
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Carl Froch fires back at Joe Calzaghe
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract
- Devin Haney vs. Luke Campbell – Hearn wants this next