Robert Guerrero vs. Selcuk Aydin fight for interim WBC welterweight title on 7/28
By Dan Ambrose: Former featherweight/super featherweight champion Robert Guerrero (29-1-1, 18 KO’s) has a little more on the line for his next fight on July 28th against #1 WBC welterweight contender Selcuk Aydin (23-0, 17 KO’s) than what was originally thought. According to boxrec.com, Guerrero and Aydin will be fighting for the interim World Boxing Council welterweight title at the Shark Tank in San Jose, California.
The significance of this is the winner will be within a stones throw of a fight against WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. in theory. I don’t actually see Mayweather ever wasting his time in fighting the Aydin-Guerrero winner, though, but there’s an astronomical chance that Mayweather might have an interest in facing Guerrero or Aydin if he’s out of opponents.
As good as those guys are, it just doesn’t make a lot of sense for Mayweather to take on either of those guys any time soon because neither of them have much of a fan base in the United States right now. Guerrero comes from Gilroy, California, but his fan base doesn’t extend much further from the San Jose/Gilroy area.
It’s interesting that Guerrero is being permitted to fight for the interim WBC welterweight title when he’s not even ranked in the top 15 in the welterweight division. Guerrero has been fighting at lightweight and will be moving up two divisions to take the fight. While it’s admirable that he feels confident enough to move up that many weight classes to fight for an interim strap, it is more than a little off putting that he’s being allowed to skip over the top 15 ranked contenders in the WBC. It seems slightly unfair for those guys that have been toiling away and who should have the chance to fight for the interim rather than a guy pulled from two divisions below to get a shot. Guerrero is interested in facing Mayweather and/or Manny Pacquiao, but the interest doesn’t seem mutual from them.
More Boxing News:
- Robert Guerrero wants Pacquiao and Thurman fights
- Photos / Results: Robert Guerrero & Joey Spencer Win on PPV Prelims
- Errol Spence decisions Shawn Porter – Live results
- Spence vs. Porter undercard final press conference quotes
- Shawn Porter, Anthony Dirrell & Robert Guerrero Las Vegas media quotes
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism