Froch admits to extending a 2005 fight
By Sean McDaniel: In a shocking interview by former WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch at the BBC, Froch seemingly admitted to prolonging a 2005 fight against Ruben Groenewald to the 5th round so that some of his family members could take advantage of bets on the fight.
Froch said to the BBC “I can say, ‘right, I’ll stop this kid in round five.’ If I’m good enough to do that then fair enough. I don’t gamble but my brothers and my friend, they did quite well off it. I can openly say that because if I’m good enough to step on the gas in round five and force the stoppage then that’s my privilege, and that’s what I did in this particular fight…But the problem with that is I held him up in round four. He was there for the taking and I held him up, I got him with a shot. I could have ended up getting done myself in round four.”
The real question is why would Froch do something like this? Did he not realize that this would seem a bit wrong to some? And what was Froch thinking when he talked about this with the BBC? Did he not think that this would cause some flak? Froch is a good fighter but I think he really needed someone to check with him before he started opening his mouth about this. I think it’s a good thing that he brought it out in the open because perhaps the British Boxing Board of Control can address this issue with Froch to see why he did this. But as far as common sense goes, why would he shot himself in the foot like this to admit to having done this? It just doesn’t make any sense at all, because Froch is sharp and I’ve never seen him fall on his sword like this before.
Maybe Froch was just bragging in the interview and not meaning what he said. Sometimes people make stuff up to impress people. That’s what I’m Froch did in the interview because I don’t want to believe that held some guy up for five rounds for family members to make money off of bets. Maybe Froch worded it wrong in the interview and he was misquoted. Sure, that happens all the time and I can see it maybe happening here. I think I’ll believe that or that maybe Froch was telling a fib because I can’t believe for a second that he held some guy up for his family members to bet on. That’s just not Froch.
More Boxing News:
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Froch: Whyte would give Fury as tough a fight as Joshua
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Carl Froch And Barker Talk Fighting On The Road In ‘The Rounds’
- Anthony Joshua responds to Carl Froch’s complaining about P4P list
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner
- VIDEO: Featherweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 3
- Teofimo Lopez to be made ‘Franchise champion’ if he beats Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020