Tarver sees Froch beating Johnson, but not Ward
By Scott Gilfoid: If it means anything, former light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver is picking WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch to beat 42-year-old challenger Glen Johnson this Saturday in their Super Six tournament fight at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
In an article at thisisnottingham.co.uk, “Froch is a slick, crafty, deceptive boxer but he has all the tools. He can box a little more than Glen Johnson and he can handle the pressure. He was first to show us how to beat [Arthur] Abraham. Clearly he can box, he’s got style and heart and he’s determined.”
I realize that Tarver is relatively new to his boxing analyst job at Showtime, but I need to point out that it wasn’t Froch that was the first one to show how to beat Abraham, it was the talented Andre Dirrell. He fought – and beat – Abraham BEFORE Froch did last year in March. Dirrell dominated Abraham by boxing him and making him miss. I’m surprised Tarver didn’t remember that. Froch merely came in afterwards when the blueprint had already been created by Dirrell and got sloppy seconds. Credit should be given to Dirrell for showing how to beat Abraham.
Tarver continues, “I’m not picking him [Froch] against Andre Ward in the final but if anyone can beat Ward, it’s Froch.”
Wrong! Froch won’t beat Ward, and there is no longer a fighter in the Super Six tournament that can beat him. The only guy that was capable of doing the job was Dirrell, but he had to pull out of the Super Six tournament last year after being fouled by Abraham.
I think Tarver is wrong about Froch beating Johnson. I don’t see that happening. I think Johnson has too much power and too much skills on the inside for Froch to win. Once Johnson starts landing his big looping right hands in the first few rounds, Froch’s eyes are going to be wide open.
More Boxing News:
- Froch: Whyte would give Fury as tough a fight as Joshua
- Andre Ward says Tyson Fury made MISTAKE announcing Joshua fight, giving Wilder motivation
- Andre Ward: ‘Shakur Stevenson has NO ceiling’
- Andre Ward talks Shakur Stevenson win over Caraballo
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Andre Ward wants Terence Crawford to stay busy
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez looking shaky for October 3
- Hearn offered 4 options to Canelo Alvarez, still NO reply
- Marriaga vs. Yap CANCELLED; Felix Verdejo and Will Madera make weight
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Fanlong Meng on September 25 in Ekaterinburg in Russia