Brook to fight N’dou on June 25th
By Scott Gilfoid: Instead of finally taking on a top contender in the welterweight division, number #2 ranked World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight contender Kell Brook (23-0, 16 KO’s) has decided to go soft by facing 39-year-old Lovemore N’dou (48-12-2, 31 KO’s) on June 25th. This is a fight that Brook should have taken a couple of years ago instead of at this advanced point in his career.
N’dou, a former IBF light welterweight champion, has lost four out of his last eight fights and is lucky not to have lost five out of his last eight. I don’t see the point in this fight for Brook. N’dou was beaten 20-year-old Saul Alvarez in his last fight. It doesn’t exactly look good that the 25-year-old Brook is facing a guy that was just beaten by a 20-year-old. It reeks of getting sloppy seconds. I’d much prefer to see Brook step it up a couple levels and face a halfway decent contender like Shawn Porter, Randall Bailey, Luis Carlos Abregu, Brad Solomon or Luis Collazo. Someone at least in their 20s or low 30s instead of a guy that’s about to turn 40 like N’dou.
Brook still hasn’t faced anyone in his seven year pro career, which incredibly sad given all the fights on his record. It’s like watching a British version of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Brook has a great record on paper, but when you look at the guys he’s beaten, you’re like ‘who are these guys? I’ve never heard of any of them.’ It’s sad but N’dou is actually a huge step for Brook. I can’t believe it.
At some point, Brook and his padded record, is going to get a shot at one of the welterweight champions, and because of his lack of experience against quality opposition, I see him getting royally spanked when that happens. It’s going to be a huge shock for Brook when he does step it up some day – if he ever does. Who knows? Maybe this is going to be Brook’s career pattern.
More Boxing News:
- Crawford fight looking SLIM for Brook in 2020
- Kell Brook confident Terence Crawford clash happens
- John Fewkes opens up on Kell Brook split and issue with Dominic Ingle
- Liam Smith wants Kell Brook
- Amir Khan: ‘Kell Brook needs me more than I need him’
- Dana White says Dillian Whyte vs. Francis Ngannou epress conference NOT happening
- Spence vs. Garcia, Tank Davis vs. Santa Cruz & Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2 planned for U.S boxing return
- Ryan Garcia: Teofimo Lopez is desperate as they come
- Tyson Fury ahead of Anthony Joshua in Forbes’ highest paid athletes list
- Ivan Baranchyk vs. Jose Zepeda on July 7 on ESPN in Las Vegas