Michael Jennings hopes Kell Brook will give him a rematch if he becomes world champ
By Sean McDaniel: Former British welterweight champion Michael Jennings (36-3, 17 KO’s) faces the inexperienced light-hitting Gary McMillan (11-2-1, 2 KO’s) in a 12 round bout in a British welterweight title eliminator bout on March 12th at the Braerwood Arena, in Glasgow, Scotland. The 33-year-old Jennings is hoping to get back to his winning ways after being stopped in the 5th round in his last fight against Kell Brook on September 18th in a mostly one-sided defeat.
Despite that loss, Jennings still thinks he can beat Brook if they were to fight again. They probably won’t again given how one-sided their fight was, but you got to like Jennings’ guts for wanting to get back in the ring against a guy that beat him up and took him out so easily. Jennings is hoping that Brook will fight him again if Brook becomes a world champion in the near future.
Why Brook would do that would be a total mystery, though, because Jennings is no longer ranked in the 1st tier. He previously was positioned at number #1 back in 2009 and was easily blown out by Miguel Cotto in a 5th round stoppage for a fight for the vacant World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title in February 2009. It’s hard to see the appeal of Brook, if he were to become champion, to select Jennings from the 2nd tier to fight instead of facing a top contender. There would be likely a lot of criticism of Brook if he were to fight Jennings again when the guy is not even a top tier fighter and he had already beaten him once before.
Jennings wants to capture the British title against the inexperienced little known McMillan and then go after a fight against Brook. Personally, I think Brook shouldn’t waste his time in beating Jennings again. If they were to fight 100 times, I see Jennings losing by knockout 100 times. What’s the point?
More Boxing News:
- Crawford fight looking SLIM for Brook in 2020
- Kell Brook confident Terence Crawford clash happens
- John Fewkes opens up on Kell Brook split and issue with Dominic Ingle
- Liam Smith wants Kell Brook
- Amir Khan: ‘Kell Brook needs me more than I need him’
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract