Hopkins vs. Pascal II to take place on 5/21, possibly in Quebec
By Dan Ambrose: 46-year-old Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KO’s) has been given his way by the WBC, who are forcing World Boxing Council light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KO’s) fight an immediate rematch with Hopkins after fighting to a 12 round draw with him last December. Hopkins was dropped twice in the fight, but many boxing fans felt he had done enough to get the win.
This is kind of rarity that one of the sanctioning bodies is making a fighter fight an immediate rematch, but it helps to be a popular fighter like Hopkins. The rematch will take place on May 21st, and it will likely take place at the same venue as the last fight at the Pepsi Coliseum, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Pascal is still the champion, and plus this is the venue where the most boxing fans will be attracted. Hopkins-Pascal likely wouldn’t draw many fans if it were to take place in the U.S
Chad Dawson, who was supposed to be Pascal’s next opponent due to a rematch clause he had in his contract with him for his 11th round technical decision loss in August last year, will be fighting on the undercard against a couple of high ranking light heavyweights. The winner of Hopkins-Pascal will then face the winner of Dawson’s bout against whoever he ends up fighting. The Hopkins-Pascal fight was shown on Showtime the last time and ended up getting the highest ratings for an boxing event for 2010. However, the rematch will be shown on HBO.
More Boxing News:
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Bernard Hopkins predicts Joshua KOs Fury late
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Hearn: Joshua will vacate WBO if he must; wants Fury before Usyk
- Mike Tyson interested in facing Anthony Joshua in charity match
- Gennadiy Golovkin to fight on November 21st on DAZN
- Arum targeting Josh Taylor vs. Jose Ramirez for 2021 in Edinburgh or Las Vegas
- Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller blaming his recent drug test on a sex pill