Hayemaker wins Groves-DeGale purse bids – Boxing News
By Sean McDaniel:Hayemaker Promotions has reportedly won the purse bids to put on the George Groves vs. James DeGale British super middleweight championship bout for a fight that will, if ever gets made, take place by April 11th if it’s to happen at all. However, it may not have much meaning if the Groves-DeGale fight can’t be negotiated and right now there’s serious doubts that this fight can or will be made.
In that case, the fact that Hayemaker has won the purse bids will be pretty much meaningless. DeGale has hinted that he’ll move on if the Groves fight can’t take place, because there are bigger and better things in store for him in 2011, and this fight is more of lower level type fight compared to the bigger ones that DeGale has in store for him in 2011 and 2012. DeGale’s promoter is going to give it his best shot to try and negotiate a fight with Groves’ promoters but at the end of the day, we could see DeGale move forward without a fight unless Hayemaker really wants to make this fight happen.
There’s talk of DeGale possibly fighting Edison Miranda and then fighting for a title in 2011 or early 2012. The Groves fight seems like a backwards step for DeGale, because Groves is a domestic level champion and DeGale needs to move past these lower level fights as quick as possible if he wants to make the big money and achieve a lot more in the future. If DeGale gets stuck facing the Groves-type fighters for too long, he’ll end up stunting his career.
More Boxing News:
- George Groves comments on Tyson Fury’s glove controversy
- Groves picks Wilder to beat Fury in rematch
- George Groves: ‘Joshua should take Ruiz Jr. rematch right away’
- Ricky Hatton, Tyson Fury and George Groves discuss Dubois vs Gorman fight
- Froch says he’d have smashed DeGale to bits
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9
- Gassiev is better suited than Usyk at heavyweight – Abel Sanchez