Is Jean Pascal Still A Contender At Light Heavyweight?
Former light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal 36-6-1 (20 KOs), is back in action this Thursday vs. Michael Eifert 11-1 (4 KOs), from the Place Bell in Laval, Quebec, Canada. This fight is also being billed as an IBF light heavyweight world title eliminator. Currently, Artur Beterbiev 19-0 (19 KOs) is the IBF light heavyweight champion.
Pascal is coming into this fight with some momentum after an impressive showing and a minor upset over then-undefeated Fanlong Meng last May. Before that fight, Pascal had been inactive for over two years. Before the layoff, Pascal’s previous three fights were quality victories over Badou Jack and Marcus Browne and a tough loss to highly rated current WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol.
For Eifert, this fight will be his first outside of his home country, Germany, and it will also represent a tremendous step up in competition. On paper, this fight appears to be a showcase fight for Pascal in front of his hometown Canadian fans.
What time is Pascal vs. Eifert?
- Date: Thursday, March 16th
- Start time: 7 p.m. ET / 10:00 p.m. GMT
- Main event ring walks (approx): 9:00 p.m. ET / 1:00 a.m. GMT
- Viewers in the US can watch the event live on ESPN+
- The fight will take place at the Place Bell, Laval, Quebec, Canada.
- The main card is set to get underway at 6:00 p.m. ET / 10:00 p.m. GMT with the main event ring walks scheduled for 9:00 p.m. ET / 1:00 a.m. GMT.
- Junior welterweights Mathieu Germain (21-2-1, 9 KOs) vs. Steven Wilcox (24-3-1, 7 KOs)
- Welterweights Yoel Angeloni (1-0) vs. Alexander Calixto (1-1, 1 KO)
- Light heavyweights Joseph Ward (8-1, 4 KOs) vs. Mario Andrade Rodriguez (7-0, 4 KOs)
- Junior welterweights Jessica Camara (10-3, 2 KOs) vs. Karla Ramos Zamora (9-9-1, 2 KOs)
- Featherweights Caroline Veyre (2-0) vs. Anaelle Angerville (5-1-1)
- Bantamweights Amanda Galle (7-0-1, 1 KO) vs. Lorena Cruz Aispuro (4-2)
With a win over Eifert, Pascal will be in line to fight against light heavyweight king Beterbiev in the future. At forty years old and after an almost twenty-year career, does Pascal have what it takes to defeat Beterbiev?
If Pascal vs. Beterbiev were to happen, it would definitely be an entertaining fight for the fans, to say the least. At the same time, both Pascal and Beterbiev call Canada their home now. A potential fight in Canada with Pascal vs. Beterbiev would be an electrifying atmosphere and quite an intriguing fight for the fans globally.