Andy Lee vs. John Duddy for 3/12: Will the winner end up facing Sergio Martinez?
By Dan Ambrose: Middleweight contender Andy Lee (24-1, 18 KO’s) and fringe junior middleweight contender John Duddy (29-2, 18 KO’s) are a possibility for the undercard of the March 12th bout between WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and Sergeii Dzinziruk. What’s interesting about the Lee-Duddy fight is that the winner could end up facing Martinez at some point in the near future.
HBO wasn’t interested in a fight between Martinez and Lee, but by having Lee on the undercard of the Martinez-Dzinziruk, you would have to think that this is a way of priming the pump and trying to get interest for a bout against Martinez. I don’t mind seeing the Lee-Duddy fight just as mindless entertainment, but I don’t see either one of those guys as being worthy of a fight with Martinez.
I don’t care if Lee wins, he still is badly flawed and someone that looks bad when he gets hit and turns red and fades when he goes past six rounds. Lee has got to star facing better fighters and beating them. He never did try and avenge his 7th round TKO loss to Bryan Vera, and I would have serious doubts about Lee ever being able to beat Vera. And that’s not a good thing, because Vera is a 2nd tier fighter.
I’d much rather the Martinez-Dzinziruk card have some better middleweights on the card instead of Lee and Duddy. I don’t see those guys as being a future champion other than maybe an Irish champion or something like that. Those guys aren’t good enough to beat Martinez, Dmitry Pirog, Sebastian Sylvester, Felix Sturm or Gennady Golovkin. I’d much prefer watching Lee and Duddy fight on ESPN Friday Night Fights. I think they belong there but not coming on just before the main event between Martinez and Dzinziruk.
More Boxing News:
- Kermit Cintron wants Sergio Martinez rematch: Will anyone watch?
- Deontay Wilder SHOULDN’T take rematch with Tyson Fury right now – Andy Lee
- Sergio Martinez making comeback, fighting Kerman Lejarraga in Dec. or Jan.
- Andy Lee surprised Deontay Wilder taking rematch with Tyson Fury
- Warren wants an apology from Hearn for questioning Dubois eye injury
- Angel Garcia says Errol Spence is not at 100% for Saturday
- Abel Sanchez: Spence beats Garcia even at 80%
- Joshua doubts Fury fight happens in 2021, says Usyk more likely