Michael Jennings wants a rematch with Kell Brook
By Sean McDaniel: Former British welterweight champion Michael Jennings (36-3, 17 KO’s) wants a rematch with undefeated welterweight contender Kell Brook (23-0, 16 KO’s) after being trounced by Brook in a one-sided 5th round TKO on September 11th. Jennings, 33, was never even remotely competitive in the fight, as he looked as timid as he had in his 5th round blowout loss against Miguel Cotto a year earlier in February 2009.
Jennings is going to push for a rematch by asking promoter Frank Warren to pair him back up with Brook for a fight next year. However, the chances of that happening are unknown at this time because Brook, 24, is looking to get a fight against #2 ranked World Boxing Organization welterweight contender Mike Jones in early 2011.
A fight against Jennings would seem like a backwards step for Brook as he would be going over old ground. It’s a fight that would benefit Jennings but not Brook. Since Brook is looking to face real world class opponents now, it doesn’t seem like a smart move for him to fight another bout against Jennings and destroy him all over again. Jennings might be better off looking for a weak opponent for him to fight and get back to the winning ways. Jennings hasn’t fought since being stopped by Brook, and he needs to get back in the ring against somebody other than Brook right now.
Speaking tot he lancashiretelegraph.co.uk, Jennings said “I watched Brook’s fight [with Philip Kotey] and no disrepesct to the guy he was fighting but he was poor. I could have done better than that with my eyes closed.”
Jennings clearly did a better job against Brook than Kotey, but not by much. Jennings merely stayed on his feet longer and took more punishment, but didn’t give Brook much of a fight. A rematch between Brook and Jennings would be an awful idea.
More Boxing News:
- Terence Crawford defends against Kell Brook on Nov.14 in Las Vegas, NV
- Bud Crawford vs Kell Brook OFFICIAL for Nov 14, LIVE on ESPN
- Dominic Ingle won’t train Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight on Nov.14
- Crawford vs. Brook: What can Terence prove against Kell?
- Terence Crawford battles Kell Brook on November 14th on ESPN
- Hearn talks Jermall Charlo vs. Demetrius Andrade
- Jaime Munguia ready to fight Gennady Golovkin in 2021
- Teofimo wants Ryan Garcia, Tank, and Haney to prove themselves worthy to face him
- Tyson Fury’s shortlist: Kabayel and Takam for Dec.5 in London
- Teofimo Lopez not interested in Vasily Lomachenko rematch