Mijares Retires from Boxing
By Manuel Perez: Former World Boxing Council super flyweight champion Cristian Mijares (36-6-2, 15 KO’s) has announced his retirement from boxing, according to Univision. This following Mijares’ 12-round unanimous decision loss to interim WBA bantamweight champion Nehomar Cermeno last Saturday night at the Arena Monterrey, Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico.
Mijares lost by the scores of 117-111, 116-112 and 116-112. This was the second fight between Mijares and Cermano. In the first fight in March 2009, Mijares, 27, lost by a 12 round split decision. However, many boxing fans felt that Mijares should have won the fight because of his better accuracy with his punches and superior defense.
But this time, Mijares was simply outworked by Cermeno, leaving no doubt who the winner of the fight was. Mijares himself admitted afterwards that Cermano had beaten him the fight. Mijares was cut over his eyes from punches and from a nasty head clash in the fight, making it difficult to see Cermeno through all the blood that was dripping into his eyes.
“Right now my decision to retire,” Mijares said. “We must discuss it with my family. It’s my third loss. I think right now what else to do, I prepared as ever, I sacrificed, suffered, cried, and my impressive fitness showed in the fight,” Mijares said.
As of now, it looks as if Mijares is going to stay firm about his decision to retire from boxing. His family is going though a lot of anguish seeing him struggle in the ring in his past few fights. Mijares has lost his last three fights dating back to his 9th round knockout at the hands of Vic Darchinyan in November 2008.
Mijares’ best win of his career, perhaps, was his lopsided 12-round unanimous decision win over Jorge Arce in April 2007. Mijares held his WBC super flyweight title from 2007 to 2008, defending it seven times before losing it to Darchinyan last year.