Oscar Valdez denies taking a prohibited substance
By Matt Lieberman: Oscar Valdez has come out with a full denial of him having used a banned substance before, and he plans on following the commission’s provisions to move forward with his September 10th fight against Robson Conceicao at Casino Del Sol in Tucson, Arizona.
Top Rank, the promoters for WBC super featherweight champion Oscar Valdez (29-0, 23 KOs), announced on Twitter on Friday that his fight with #14 WBC Conceicao (16-0, 8 KOs) WILL be taking place as scheduled on September 10th date on ESPN+.
Although Valdez denies taking a banned substance, he tested positive for phentermine on one of the tests, a weight-loss drug that the DAZN views as a PED.
Earlier on Friday, the World Boxing Council said that Valdez could fight with Conceicao. Additionally, the Pascua Yaqui Tribe Athletic Commission also ruled that Valdez is good to go ahead with his fight.
The Commission views it as okay to use phentermine only out of competition. They considering being in competition starting from 11:59 p.m. the day before the fight. Moreover, the WBC doesn’t view phentermine as a PED.
Oscar Valdez’s statement
“How about my people, I want to tell you that I have never taken prohibited substances to improve performance, I have never done it and I will never do it,” Oscar Valdez said.
“I am very respectful of anti-doping tests from my time as an amateur and now as a professional and, since I am a professional, I have undergone more than 30 anti-doping tests which is something that as Team Valdez we always ask that it be in the contract, that it be do the VADA tests to keep the sport clean and nobody has any advantage.”
WADA doesn’t view phentermine as a banned drug, so they’re the ones that Valdez and Commission are following rather than DAZN. It looks bad for Valdez that he chose to sign up for DAZN but then fails to take responsibility after his positive tests. Instead, Valdez is following WADA, which means he was just going through the motions when he signed up for DAZN.
“I am in the best disposition to comply with all the indications announced by the WBC to collaborate with programs and activities that are required. See you next September 10, all my people, to defend the world title, I send you a big hug, and God bless you all, “he said.
Next Friday’s #ValdezConceicao title fight on ESPN+ will proceed as scheduled.
— Top Rank Boxing (@trboxing) September 3, 2021
- Oscar Valdez defends against Emanuel Navarrete next
- Bob Arum wants Vasily Lomachenko vs. Shakur Stevenson after both win their next fights
- Jamel Herring wants Berchelt, says Shakur Stevenson should fight Valdez next
- Bob Arum targeting Shakur Stevenson vs. Miguel Berchelt for March or April 2022