Michael Hunter willing to fight Dillian Whyte after Povetkin dropped out
By Jim Maltzman: Michael Hunter has volunteered to step in and face British heavyweight Dillian Whyte for his November 21st fight after his opponent Alexander Povetkin dropped because of him testing positive or COVID 19.
Hunter (18-1-1, 12 KOs) says he’s willing to fight Whyte (27-2, 18 KOs) for WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury for free. He wants them to call him so he can set up the contest.
Hunter, 32, hasn’t fought since his controversial 10 round draw last year against Alexander Povetkin in December 2019 in Saudi Arabia.
Whyte’s promoter Eddie Hearn hasn’t mentioned Hunter’s name as a possible opponent for him for November 21st. Matchroom Boxing heavyweight Dereck Chisora volunteered to face Whyte on November 21st, but Hearn seemed cool to that idea.
The fighter that Hearn did mention wanting to face Whyte is Fury, who he publically offered him the fight.
Fury is believed to be facing German heavyweight Agit Kabayel next on December 5th in London if he agrees to the contract offer given to him.
Hunter volunteering to face Whyte or Fury
“I’m the only man that would do it on a day’s notice,” Michael Hunter said to Boxing Social about him volunteering to face Dillian Whyte on November 21.
“For free, we’re going to fight for free. They [Team Whyte] can’t say it has to do with the money [for rejecting him as an opponent].
For free just for the viewership,” Hunter said when asked if he’s willing to fight Whyte or Fury for free.”Call me, you guys. Tyson Fury, Dillian Whyte, Eddie Hearn, you know my number.
“Reach out, for free. It’s an easy business move for you guys. It’s absolutely free. I’ll fight for nothing,” said Hunter.
If the ‘Can-Man’ Whyte wants to save the November 21st card, he needs to back up his bold talk by agreeing to fight Hunter. Whyte is always saying that he’s willing to fight anyone. So if that’s true, here’s his chance to prove that by taking on Hunter.
Dillian doesn’t want to lose anymore, especially now because he’s trying to get back his WBC mandatory status so that he can challenge for a world title. It already looks bad that Whyte was knocked out by the 41-year-old Povetkin last August.
A defeat against Hunter would likely ruin Whyte’s chances of ever getting a title shot.
Hunter wants to showcase his skills
“It has to do with something else,” Hunter said about why Whyte and Fury would pass over him for a fight. “I’ve already taken care of the business part. I think I’m the best person.
“As you can see, every time a fight that falls out, my name is mentioned. It’s not about the money. It’s about the glory. I feel like I’m the best fighter out there.
“So either one of those fights will give me the opportunity to showcase my skills,” Hunter said when asked if he prefers to face Tyson Fury or Dillian Whyte next. “I feel disrespected that they’re not saying my name.
“He knows I got one over on him,” Hunter said about him getting the better of Tyson Fury when they fought in the amateurs.
“He got one over on me because they gave him the ‘W,’ but he didn’t fight me again the next day. So that was his way out. I saw it.
“I’m not going to say that I’m going to steamroll him, but I’m definitely a problem for sure,” said Michael.
Whyte would be the perfect opponent for Hunter to show the boxing world what he’s got. If Whyte is as good as some of his fans think he is, he’ll take the fight with Hunter.
Michael predicted Povetkin would beat Whyte
“I predicted it,” said Hunter about Alexander Povetkin’s win over Dillian Whyte. “And I was surprised that Dillian Whyte was doing so well. I was surprised that he knocked him down twice.
“Povetkin is crafty. He’s going to get his hits off. If you look at all his career, he makes sure he lands. He makes sure he gets his. I was able to take it, and Anthony Joshua was able to take it.
“Dillian Whyte didn’t show that. Dillian Whyte wanted to get that back right away. I think that sucks that he wasn’t able to get that rematch [with Povetkin] after it was already set up,” said Hunter.
Many boxing fans predicted that Whyte would lose to Povetkin in some fashion or another because he’d struggled against Oscar Rivas, and he’s taken a beating against 40-year-old Mariusz Wach last December.
The Wach and Rivas fight showed that Whyte is vulnerable against a hard puncher who is resilient.
- Dillian Whyte bitter & angry at Jermaine Franklin getting Joshua fight
- Dillian Whyte irritated about delay in Anthony Joshua negotiations for summer stadium fight
- Dillian Whyte vs. Otto Wallin possible for April
- Joseph Parker wants Whyte, Joshua, or Joyce rematch next after Massey