Vanes Martirosyan calls out Jermell Charlo
By Stanley White: Three years after his controversial 10 round unanimous decision loss to Jermell Charlo in March 2015, Vanes Martirosyan (36-3-1, 21 KOs) is calling for him to give him a rematch so he can avenge the loss and he’s the better man.
Charlo (30-0, 15 KOs) is now the WBC junior middleweight champion since beating John Jackson in 2016 to win the vacant belt. Martirosyan, 31, is ranked #2 WBC, and he wants his title shot now. Charlo never attempted to clear up the controversy of his questionable win over Martirosyan from 2015, as it seems as it doesn’t bother him that a lot of boxing fans felt he was given a gift decision by the 3 judges that worked the fight.
Here’s what Martirosyan had to say in calling out the twin Charlo on social media on Monday:
”You got lucky your manager saved your [expletive] in the 1st fight which I took on 3weeks notice what extra money on the side you don’t want me at my best I will [expletive] destroy you if you really think you could knock me out why don’t you meet me in the Ring June 9th @TwinCharlo.”
Charlo seems to be resting still after his big 1st round knockout win over 22-year-old Erickson Lubin (18-1, 14 KOs) on October 14 last year. Charlo will be fighting in the summer against an opponent still to be determined on June 9th on Showtime Boxing at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.
Considering that Charlo fought the previously ranked #1 WBC Lubin last October, it’s quite likely that his next opponent will be picked by his manager from the lower portion of the World Boxing Council’s top 15 rankings. So, we’re probably talking about one of these fighters:
• Orlando Fordigiglio
• Zokaria Attou
• Yoshihiro Kamegai
• Nathaniel Gallimore
• Austin Trout
• Jaime Munguia
• Jack Culcay
• Sergio Garcia
Martirosyan’s career is not looking too good right now, as he’s lost 2 out of his last 3 fights since 2015. Martirosyan lost to Charlo in 2015 and Erislandy Lara by a 12 round unanimous decision in May 2016. That was a clear loss for Martirosyan. You can argue that’s the only defeat that Martirosyan has suffered since his 12 round split decision loss to Demetrius Andrade in November 2013.
Still, Martirosyan has hurt himself by being inactive in the last couple of years. Martirosyan fought just once in 2016 against Lara. Martirosyan didn’t fight at all in 2017. It’s lucky for Martirosyan that the WBC hasn’t dropped him from their top 15 rankings due to his inactivity.
”Let’s Make this Fight Happen. NIGHT OF REMATCHES June 9th,” Martirosyan said. ”I’m calling him out. I’m running my mouth. What the [expletive] is he going to do about it? Is he going to fight me and shut me up or have this people duck for him? #CharloMartirosyan2 @ShowtimeBoxing@loudibella,” Martirosyan said.
It would be surprising if Charlo takes the fight. Charlo’s management makes the fights for him, so that means we could see him fighting someone lower ranked. It would be predictable. If Showtime is going to televise Charlo’s fight on June 9th regardless of whether he faces a good opponent are not, then where’s the incentive for his management to pick out a good opponent like Martirosyan? There is none. They can pick who they want, and it’s unlikely that Martirosyan will get the fight.
More Boxing News:
- ICB Signs Vanes Martirosyan; Contender To Make Cage Boxing Debut In 2019
- Martirosyan picks Golovkin to KO Canelo Alvarez
- Martirosyan: Canelo has a shot at beating GGG
- Martirosyan slams Canelo, says he ran from GGG and took roids
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. to possibly sign 3-fight deal with Hearn
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9