Krzysztof Glowacki – Steve Cunningham on April 16 – Barclays Center Brooklyn
The first world title defense of Poland’s Krzysztof Glowacki, fresh of a Fight of the Year upset over Marco Huck, against former U.S. Naval officer and former cruiserweight champion Cunningham in a battle that is sure to thrill those watching on NBC and at Barclays Center.
“I am so excited to come back to the US for a major fight,” said Glowacki. “I respect Steve Cunningham as a sportsman and as a man. He is a world class fighter and I know that he will be well prepared against me. I would like to thank my Polish promoters, my coaches, Al Haymon, Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing, and DiBella Entertainment. They gave me the opportunity to face Marco Huck for the world title last year and I knocked him out, doing what I promised. Come April 16, I will once again honor my promise and defeat Cunningham in spectacular fashion. Polish and American fans, be prepared for the return of Glowacki!”
Representing the great fight city of Philadelphia, Cunningham will look to put on a show in his Barclays Center debut. Twice a world champion as a cruiserweight, he defeated Krzysztof Wlodarczyk in 2006 to capture his belt before defending his title against Marco Huck via a twelfth-round TKO. He became a world champion again in 2010 when he stopped Troy Ross in the fifth round. The experienced veteran also owns victories over previously unbeaten fighters Amir Mansour and Natu Visinia and scored a knockdown of Tyson Fury in a losing effort during their 2013 bout.
Glowacki defends his world title for the first time after his sensational 2015 knockout of cruiserweight king Marco Huck in August 2015. The fighter out of Walcz, Poland will receive heavy support from the large Polish population in Brooklyn as he fights in the U.S. for the second time. Prior to his world title winning performance, he picked up victories over Nuri Seferi, Thierry Karl and Ismail Abdoul.
More Boxing News:
- Santiago Vs. Garcia Weights From Tijuana, Mexico
- Mairis Briedis vs Yuniel Dorticos WBSS Cruiser Final on Sept. 26
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Results / Photos: Lubin beats Gausha to earn rematch with Jermell Charlo
- Charles Conwell vs. Wendy Toussaint on October 7 on Showtime
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk