Chris Byrd: I’ll train David Price
Byrd says he didn’t like the fact that the 6’8” Price didn’t use his reach to keep Thompson on the outside. Byrd also didn’t like how Price didn’t do a good job of going after Thompson after knocking him down late in the 2nd round.
Byrd said in his Byrd’s Eye show “I’ll train him. I know I’ll get something…You going to fight if I’m training you.”
Ah, maybe it’s not such a good idea for Byrd to train Price if he wants to get in there and fight. I think it’s pretty much academic at this point that Price doesn’t have the engine to get in there and fight like Byrd wants him to. We saw last night that Price has a chin issue as well as a stamina problem.
Byrd can’t have Price in there looking to punch it out because Price’s stamina problems will rear their ugly head. Instead, Byrd needs to look at what he’s got with Price and work with it. We’re talking the stamina of someone like 41-year-old Vitali Klitschko packaged with a weak chin.
Price needs the Emmanuel Steward magic touch, not someone that is going to have him brawling. Byrd should know this after watching the fight last night. If Steward was Price’s trainer last night, he’d have had him fighting slow, clinching a lot, using his jab constantly, throwing mostly right hands so that he wouldn’t get countered, and not letting Thompson get his shots off on the inside.
It would be a lot of clinching when Thompson would come in close. Price definitely wouldn’t have gassed out if Steward was training him, and he would have the sense enough to know that he had to clinch Thompson each time he got close to him.
More Boxing News:
- Prograis vs. Taylor Review including undercard
- Haye: Dereck Chisora wants Oleksandr Usyk
- David Price reacts to his loss to Dereck Chisora
- Dereck Chisora: “I’ll fight Big Baby Miller on AJ-Ruiz in Saudi”
- Josh Taylor defeats Regis Prograis – live results
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz