Lewis thinks he can fix Price’s stamina problems
By Scott Gilfoid: Last night we saw David Price (15-2, 13 KO’s) start off well against ring veteran Tony Thompson (38-3, 26 KO’s) in the first three rounds, but then run out of gas in the process of getting stopped in the 5th. Lennox Lewis, who helped train the 29-year-old Price for the fight, thinks the 6’8” Price’s stamina problems can easily be fixed on working on this area of his game.
Lewis said to Sky Sports “You have to have stamina. You have to be able to box on the inside and the outside…we find that David’s got a stamina problem; all we have to do is fix that.”
Is Lewis kidding? How in the heck are they going to fix a stamina problem on a fighter as big as Price and as old as him. The guy is huge and big fighters like Price tend to have stamina problems; that kind of goes with the territory with being big.
I really don’t think Lewis or Price’s other trainer will make much headway in getting any real improvement in his stamina. Price is what he is at this point.
I’m wondering if Lewis will even be in the equation for Price after this disastrous fight, because Price looked lost out there against Thompson. He fought like he had no common sense. Will Price’s promoter Frank Maloney want Lewis training him again or will he instead look for an Emmanuel Steward disciple like Johnathon Banks to train Price.
With Price’s career hanging by a thread, I believe it would be wise for Maloney to look to make a major change in the trainer department by going with someone that knows Steward’s training style by heart like Banks. He was with Steward for years and he knows what he would do with Price. Andy Lee, an active fighter, is also someone that has worked with Steward for many years. I think Andy Lee would be a great trainer as well for Price.
More Boxing News:
- Prograis vs. Taylor Review including undercard
- Haye: Dereck Chisora wants Oleksandr Usyk
- David Price reacts to his loss to Dereck Chisora
- Dereck Chisora: “I’ll fight Big Baby Miller on AJ-Ruiz in Saudi”
- Josh Taylor defeats Regis Prograis – live results
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Kell Brook: I can hurt Terence Crawford 100%
- Lomachenko: I’m going to cause Teofimo pain
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21