The real Juan Manuel Marquez
By Tim Trout: Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KO’s) is doing well. He is a Mexican fighter without equal. He has fought for many years, but has never made the big bank UNTIL he got in the ring with Manny Pacquiao. In the first fight, Marquez-Pacquiao ended in a 12 round draw in 2004.
Pacquiao knocks Marquez down three times in the first round. Marquez figures out Pacquiao’s left and makes a great comeback. Marquez loses in the next two fights with Pacquiao in 2008 and 2011. Then Marquez begins to pressure Pacquiao for another fight. Marquez says it’s because he was robbed in the former fights. Marquez says he was robbed 3 times. If true, that’s a record in boxing.
Pacquiao fights him again and wins by 12 round majority decision. Marquez says he was robbed again. Then, the 4th fight. Marquez catches Pacquiao and knocks him out in dramatic fashion. It is very hard for some fans to agree that Marquez was ever robbed. He has made millions fighting Pacquiao and only thousands fighting other opponents Marquez has probably made more money fighting Pacquiao than all his other fights combined. Marquez latched himself onto the cash cow, and didn’t let go.
The thought of Marquez not wanting to fight Pacquiao again is absurd. In my opinion Marquez, is making a fool of himself by acting as though he doesn’t want to fight Pacquiao again. Believe me, Marquez is not a fool. He will go after the cash cow again, with gusto. Remember this sport is not always about who is the best, it’s about who comes out the best financially. Marquez was downgraded after Mayweather beat him, and no longer rated top billing. Marquez owes Pacquiao a lot. Pacquiao saved Marquez’s career and made him a rich man.
It’s a shame that the best does not fight the best in the boxing world. Most of the time, the fix is in one way or another and the fans lose again. I believe that a time is coming when the fans will no longer tolerate the pathetic match-ups, and the promoter’s temper tantrums. Some fighters are not willing to fight the best because they are afraid to fight the best. Last Saturday night Nonito Donaire dared to fight the best. He lost, but he won tons of new fans because he proved himself a true champion by fighting the best.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Marquez: Canelo should fight Beterbiev or Bivol
- Bernard Hopkins, Juan M Marquez, Shane Mosley Elected To Boxing Hall Of Fame!
- Canelo has the style to defeat Golovkin says Marquez
- Can Rey Vargas fill the void left by Marquez?
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey