Canelo with Mexican arrest warrant out on him for alleged assault
By Chris Williams: WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has a warrant for his arrest in Mexico for an alleged 2011 assault of the 5’3” former two-time IBF light flyweight champion Ulises Solis, according to record.com.mx. Both Canelo and his brother Juan Ramon have warrants out on them in the state of Jalisco.
Solis made a complaint for October of 2011, accusing Canelo of allegedly beating him and causing injuries.
Canelo has a fight coming up this Saturday night against WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. This is a big, big step up fight for Canelo because up until now he’s been matched against fighters like Matthew Hatton, Alfonso Gomez, Lovemore N’dou, Josesito Lopez, Ryan Rhodes and Shane Mosley.
Going from fighting them to face the bigger and much more elusive Trout is going to be likely a shock for Canelo because he hasn’t had to fight anyone like this before. Golden Boy Promotions, the promoters for Canelo, didn’t want to put him in with Trout.
Presumably this was because this was because they saw him as being too much risk for it to be worth it.
Canelo was left in a bad position, however, after Trout defeated Miguel Cotto last December because Canelo wanted to fight Cotto if he had won that fight and Golden Boy was eager to make that match. Trout ruined those plans by beating Cotto and then putting pressure on both Golden Boy and Canelo to fight him or else look bad.
If Canelo doesn’t win this fight then it’s going to likely wreck Golden Boy’s plans on having Canelo’s next fight in September be a PPV fight because it would be difficult to ask the boxing public to pay to see Canelo fight off of a loss to Trout. Canelo has a rematch clause in the contract with Trout in case he loses.
More Boxing News:
- Canelo Alvarez: Who will he fight next on September 12th?
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko wants Canelo after Jermall Charlo fight on Sept.26
- Edgar Berlanga wants Canelo Alvarez in 18 months
- Canelo Alvarez will fight Callum Smith or Demetrius Andrade next says Matchroom boss
- Hearn warns De La Hoya about talking Canelo fight
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz