The Gennady Golovkin inquiry
By Gerardo Granados: A friend of mine asked me about WBA middleweight champion Kazakhstani Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, but he was not fully satisfied with my answers. After seeing how Golovkin knocked out Nobuhiro Ishida in only three rounds last Saturday night in Monte Carlo, he wanted to know if he is really that good.
Is he the next Marvin Hagler? It is too soon to know but there is no doubt he is getting attention by the boxing sports media.
Can he hit as hard as Mike Tyson? Some experts think he hits hard, you can see he has power in both hands and probably he is the most powerful middleweight out there.
Will he unify the middleweight division? It is possible, he has the tools to achieve it but I doubt he will do it for money reasons; now a days the fees that the boxing ruling bodies charge are quite high to pay, to do so the fighter must have a big fan base to earn a couple of million dollar purse and Golovkin doesn’t has it at the moment.
Can he knock out Sergio Martinez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr? Yes, he could, but it would not be as easy as last night fight. Martinez is skilled enough to out box him and Chavez Jr. is a tough kid with a great chin.
Is he as good as James Toney or Roy Jones Jr.? different styles, both Toney and Jones Jr. are great boxers with great defensive skills also great counter punchers; Gennady fighting style is more of pressure he has good defense but not outstanding one.
Why havent I heard of him before? You should ask Golovkin´s promoter about that one. I believe he has fought twice in the U.S. Maybe that is the main reason why you have not hear of him before but for sure you´ll keep an eye on him from now on.
Why do some sports writers think he is the next great middleweight? Golovkin must have the tools to impress them but I believe he still has enough room to improve specially on his defense. He has a great amateur record, I believe that as an amateur he defeated a couple current champions, he has great ring experience to go along with his power.
Do you like the way he fights? Yes, of course but I want to see him against better oposition to see how does he performs. I believe Golovkin does have the tools to become a dominant champion. He has power and that is a thing you can not buy on the store. He also has a solid chin and right now he could handle the top current middleweights for sure.
Do the readers believe Gennady Golovkin will be a future boxing star in the near future?
More Boxing News:
- Jaime Munguia ready to fight Gennady Golovkin in 2021
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr wants Gennadiy Golovkin in 2021
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Golovkin vs. Szeremeta going up against Spence vs. Garcia on November 21
- Oscar De La Hoya says he’s serious about comeback
- Vasily Lomachenko apologizes to fans for loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Campbell takes partial credit for Teofimo’s win over Lomachenko
- Estrada vs. Cuadras, Chocolatito vs. Gonzalez & Martinez vs. Calleros – Official DAZN Weights
- Michael Conlan vs. Isaac Dogboe agreed for Dec.5 on ESPN