Jeff Mayweather not impressed with Robert Guerrero
By Dan Ambrose: Floyd Mayweather Jr’s uncle Jeff Mayweather doesn’t see anything special in WBC interim welterweight champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KO’s) and he thinks the 29-year-old Guerrero is going to have major problems against Mayweather Jr. on May 4th in their Las Vegas, Nevada-based fight on Showtime.
Mayweather is sparring with guys that are bigger than Guerrero and equally good at putting pressure on him, and Mayweather is easily handling them.
Jeff said to Hustleboss.com “The guy [sparring partner] that’s in there is putting pressure on Floyd like Guerrero and you see what he’s getting. He’s about 180 lbs. I’m not impressed with Guerrero. He don’t have any punching power. So what is he going to do? It’s different if he’s a puncher. Being aggressive and not having power sometimes ends in disaster.”
That’s not a good sign that Mayweather is handling his sparring partners. If Mayweather is able to dominate fighters that bigger, stronger and fighting with the same identical fighting style as Guerrero then it suggests that this is a style that Mayweather can have a lot of success again.
Mayweather might not be the same fighter he was 10 years ago, but he’s more than good enough to beat a slow, upright fighter without any power and who slaps with his shots. Guerrero has won his last two fights at welterweight, he’s still just a pumped up lightweight that left his power behind two divisions below him.
Guerrero’s only chance of winning this fight is Mayweather decides to just stand and trade with him like he did with Miguel Cotto last May. Guerrero will have to an opportunity to win the fight if Mayweather plays macho with him and doesn’t use his legs. I don’t think Mayweather is going to do that, not when he’s got another five fights on his Showtime/CBS contract that he’ll have to fulfill. He’s going to want to win without taking damaging shots and getting involved in a war needlessly against a younger fighter seven years younger than him.
More Boxing News:
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Conor McGregor says he carried Floyd Mayweather 3 years ago
- Santa Cruz says Mayweather is training Tank Davis for nothing; he won’t change
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk