Shane Mosley vs. Pablo Cesar Cano on May 18th in Cancun, Mexico
By Allan Fox: 41-year-old Shane Mosley (46-8-1, 39 KO’s) will be coming out of retirement in two months to face 23-year-old Pablo Cesar Cano (26-2-1, 20 KO’s) in a fight that will take place in Cancun, Mexico, according to RingTV. Mosley had recently been trying to land a fight against WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi, but to no avail.
Malignaggi had second thoughts when it was clear the money wouldn’t be there for the fight.
Rather than give up, Mosley has decided to keep moving forward with his career, and he’s got a good starting point for his comeback in taking on Cano. In his last fight, Cano lost a controversial 12 round split decision to Malignaggi last year in October. If Mosley can beat Cano in a convincing fashion, he’ll show that he’s got what it takes to fight for a world title.
It’s going to take more than that, however, because Mosley will have to beat at least a two or three contenders in order to get ranked high enough for one of the welterweight champions to take a chance on him.
Mosley has lost three out of his last four fights, but his defeats have come against quality fighters in Floyd Mayweather Jr, Manny Pacquiao and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. The loss to Canelo came last year in May when Mosley made the bad decision to move up to 154 to challenge Canelo for his WBC title. Mosley simply didn’t have the size to compete with Canelo and ended up taking a beating in losing by a 12 round unanimous decision.
It’s going to be interesting to see if Mosley has the work rate, size and compete against Cano, because this is a big welterweight, and he’s probably about the same size as Canelo. If Mosley can’t get out of the way of his big shots he’s going to be in for a long night on May 18th. To beat Cano, Mosley will have to to make sure he throws enough punches because he can’t freeze like he did in his losses to Mayweather and Pacquiao and expect to win.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins, Juan M Marquez, Shane Mosley Elected To Boxing Hall Of Fame!
- Mosley analyzes Canelo vs. Jacobs
- Mosley: Golovkin is too big for Canelo
- Mosley says Canelo must be perfect to beat GGG
- Mosley comments on Canelo’s 2 positive tests for PEDs and GGG fight
- Hearn: Joshua will vacate WBO if he must; wants Fury before Usyk
- Mike Tyson interested in facing Anthony Joshua in charity match
- Gennadiy Golovkin to fight on November 21st on DAZN
- Arum targeting Josh Taylor vs. Jose Ramirez for 2021 in Edinburgh or Las Vegas
- Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller blaming his recent drug test on a sex pill