Price’s promoter Maloney collapses after his knockout defeat
By Scott Gilfoid: Frank Maloney, the promoter for British heavyweight champion David Price (15-1, 13 KO’s), reportedly collapsed at ringside following Price’s 2nd round knockout loss to 41-year-old American Tony Thompson tonight at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England.
This was supposed to be an easy fight for Britain’s best heavyweight, but Thompson hit Price with a right hand in the 2nd that sent him down to the canvas. The fight was then stopped after Price got back up because he was still too unsteady on his feet to continue. Price suffered a perforated eardrum for his left ear.
As for Maloney, he was taken away by ambulance after sinking to his knees while in conversation, according to the telegraph.co.uk.
Price’s knockout loss surely finishes, at least for now, his dreams of capturing a world title. This is a huge setback for the 29-year-old Price because it’s going to knock him backwards in the world rankings, and he’s probably going to need to think seriously about trying to avenge his loss by facing Thompson again to try and prove the loss was just a fluke. Price can’t just walk away from a defeat like this from someone so old like Thompson.
I mean, if Price walks away from this fight and goes on to face weaker opposition, it’s going to make him look really bad to boxing fans. And if Price does choose to fight Thompson again, there’s a chance that Thompson could put Price out of his misery by knocking him out again.
Another knockout loss to Thompson will pretty much put the final nail in Price’s career in terms of him being a world ranked fighter. He can always have a nice career at the domestic level, but if you can’t beat a fighter like Thompson then I wouldn’t suggest that Price try for European honors like he’s been talking about.
More Boxing News:
- Prograis vs. Taylor Review including undercard
- Haye: Dereck Chisora wants Oleksandr Usyk
- David Price reacts to his loss to Dereck Chisora
- Dereck Chisora: “I’ll fight Big Baby Miller on AJ-Ruiz in Saudi”
- Josh Taylor defeats Regis Prograis – live results
- Andy Ruiz Jr using low impact pool workouts to get in shape
- Redkach wants Adrien Broner on Tank vs. Santa Cruz undercard
- Jeff Horn vs. Tim Tszyu on August 26 in Townsville, Australia
- Tank Davis to stream sparring session with Ivan Redkach on Monday
- Alexander Povetkin ready for Dillian Whyte