Marquez could fight two more times
By Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao conqueror Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KO’s) could return to the ring for two more times, according to Manila Bulletin. Marquez, 39, is interested in beating Manny Pacquiao again to show that his recent win over the Filipino wasn’t just a fluke, and from there he then wants one more final fight before retiring.
It’s anyone’s guess who Marquez will fight for the final bout of his career but he has said that he would like to go after a fourth world title at welterweight, so there’s a possibility that he could wind up facing someone like WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley. A better fight than that would be for Marquez to face WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a rematch.
It’s kind of doubtful that Mayweather would want to fight Marquez again because of how easy he beat him in 2009 when he dominated him by a lopsided 12 round unanimous decision. But Mayweather have a change of mind if Marquez beats Pacquiao for a second time because that would make Marquez a much bigger star than he already is, and it might be tempting enough for Mayweather to look to fight Marquez again anyway.
Marquez obviously wants to fight Pacquiao again because the money he can get in that fight will be huge next time around. In the fourth fight, Marquez received only $3 million guaranteed, but a rematch will likely see that rise substantially. I wouldn’t be surprised if Marquez gets a guaranteed $10 million and that would go up more with the pay per view upside.
Marquez’s wife wants him to retire but it’s expected that he’ll talk her into letting him continue fighting at least once or twice more. I’m when he tells her how much money he stands to make from a 5th fight with Pacquiao, as well as final against someone like Mayweather, she’ll understand. Marquez has waited his entire career to make this kind of money and it’s bad that it took this long because he’d have a huge fortunate by now if he was making this kind of money for the past four years like Pacquiao has.
More Boxing News:
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- David Benavidez: Is it time to move up to 175?
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Hearn hints Fury won’t get same deal with Joshua if he vacates WBC title without fighting Whyte
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner