Orlando Salido vs. Mikey Garcia could take place on November 10th
By Dan Ambrose: Steven Kim is reporting that WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido (39-11-2, 27 KO’s) could be defending his title against unbeaten Mikey Garcia (28-0, 24 KO’s) on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao’s next fight on November 10th. Salido-Garcia would be the co-feature bout if they can come to an agreement. The fight also could take place in October. It’s unclear what card it would take place if the fight happens then.
Garcia, 24, would be taking a real risk if he decides to fight Salido at this early stage in his career because Garcia’s opposition has been mediocre at best his entire career and many of his knockouts are result of that. While Garcia does have good power, he’s not that much more of a puncher than Salido is but lacks Salido’s work rate, punching angles and arsenal. As far as I can tell the only thing Garcia can do is throw pot shots where he loads up with everything.
He’s like a featherweight version of Peter Quillin without combination punching or an inside game. The chances are high that Garcia will be embarrassed if takes this fight because his game is still at the beginning stages and his competition has pretty poor. Recently Garcia stepped up a level and faced Bernabe Conception, if you want to call that a step up, and he didn’t look good against a fighter that wasn’t even throwing punches.
Salido, 31, has been in with the best fighters for many years now, having fought Robert Guerrero, Juan Manuel Marquez, Juan Manuel Lopez, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Rogers Mtagwa and Cristobol Cruz. Salido recently defeated Juanma Lopez twice by knockouts.
More Boxing News:
- Gary Russell Jr: Is Mikey Garcia scared to fight me?
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Pacquiao might BEAT Golovkin says Mikey Garcia
- Jose Ramirez: Mikey Garcia hits harder than Manny Pacquiao
- Dillian Whyte previews Alexander Povetkin clash
- Eddie Hearn hoping to reach deal on Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell this week
- Wladimir Klitschko coming back? promoter Tom Loeffler wants him to
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles