Brandon Rios weighs in at 146.4 today, fight with John Murray will go ahead tonight as planned
By Jason Kim: Former WBA World Lightweight champion Brandon Rios made the agreed upon weigh-in on Saturday morning today, weighing in at 146.4 for tonight’s fight against the UK’s John Murray at Madison Square Garden. Rios wasn’t permitted to go more than 147 lbs for today’s weigh-in and he made that weight by a slight margin. However, Rios lost his World Boxing Association title on Friday after failing to make the 135 pound weight on two successive weigh-in attempts.
On his first try, Rios weighed 136.4 and then later 135.6. He was then docked $20,000 for not making weight, and the money now goes to Murray. The fight will move ahead, though, but Rios loses the belt. Murray will have the chance to win the belt tonight, but it’s still very doubtful he’ll be able to do that. His management team were wise to put the day of the fight weight limit requirement for Rios, because this will ensure that Rios is weaker, and possibly weak enough for Murray to beat him. Without being drained, Rios is simply much too good for Murray.
However, they badly needed a fighter with a name which is why is probably why they agreed to the weight stipulation. Rios has reportedly been starving himself and drinking very little water for the past five days in order to get down to the 135 pound limit. Whether this will effect him or not for tonight’s fight is unclear. Murray has never proven himself as being a legitimate top tier fighter despite the high ranking he was given before his one-sided 8th round TKO loss to Kevin Mitchell in his last fight. Most of Murray’s fights have come against domestic level 2nd and 3rd tier opposition. He stepped it up against Mitchell, a fringe contender, and was destroyed. Now Murray is facing a guy that’s a lot better than Mitchell and it really doesn’t look good for Murray unless Rios is incredibly weight drained from not eating and taking in fluids.
More Boxing News:
- Brandon Rios retiring says Robert Garcia
- Brandon Rios congratulates Humberto Soto for win
- Humberto Soto defeats Brandon Rios – RESULTS
- Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto – weigh-in results
- Brandon Rios – Humberto Soto on Saturday – Where and How To Watch
- Tyson vs. Holyfield 3 Preview
- Ryan Garcia: Jorge Linares fight ISN’T happening
- Saunders: Canelo is in my WORLD inside an empty arena
- Terence Crawford: ‘I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me’
- Keith Thurman ready to fight behind-closed doors