Salido vs. Lopez II rematch possible for January or February 2012
By Dan Ambrose: Management for World Boxing Organization (WBO) featherweight champion Orlando Salido (36-11-2, 24 KO’s) are saying that a rematch between Salido and former WBO featherweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez (30-1, 27 KO’s) could happen as early as January or February next year, according to the Ringtv. Salido may fight one more time this year, possibly in November.
It depends right now on how well his right hand heels from the injury he sustained in his recent title defense against Kenichi Yamaguchi on July 23. Salido gave Yamaguchi a ferocious beating for 11 rounds in getting an 11th round TKO victory. However, the fight came at a cost for Salido, because he injured his right hand in the process of administering a one-sided beating against his Japanese opponent.
Salido destroyed Lopez even worse than Yamaguchi, blasting him out in an 8th round TKO win last April. Lopez was a lot easier for Salido to beat up compared to Yamaguchi, which is why it seems so odd that Lopez and his promoter Bob Arum are interested in the Salido rematch. It’s kind of a crazy thing because the rematch will be just the same if not worse. However, here’s the kicker: the Salido-Lopez II rematch will be taking place in Lopez’s home country of Peurto Rico.
It doesn’t take a genius to guess that we could see a bad decision in this fight with Lopez walking off with the WBO title after taking another vicious beating. I hope it doesn’t happen but I never like when I see a champion having to travel to the country of a challenger to fight in their arena. Nothing good can come of this. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s about the only way I can see Lopez recapturing his WBO title short of Salido just vacating it.
More Boxing News:
- Orlando Salido says Lomachenko can be beaten with body punching
- Gamboa and Juanma both win – RESULTS
- Quotes: Yuriorkis Gamboa Vs Miguel Beltran Jr.& Juan Manuel Lopez Vs Cristian Mino
- Klimas: Pacquiao-Lomachenko NOT happening [Arum says it could later)
- Lomachenko vs. Salido 2: Don’t be surprised if this fight happens
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9
- Gassiev is better suited than Usyk at heavyweight – Abel Sanchez
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko