Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Likar Ramos on July 16th
By Dan Ambrose: Soon to be 38-year-old Juan Manuel Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KO’s) has opted for a very safe tune-up bout against super featherweight contender Likar Ramos (24-3, 18 KO’s) on July 16th at a still to be determined venue in Mexico. Marquez had been trying to get a fight against former IBF lightweight champion David Diaz. However, Diaz wasn’t happy with the money that was being offered to him to take the fight.
Marquez could have then taken on a quality contender but he seemed unwilling to take the risk that he could possibly lose the tune-up bout, which would ruin any chances for Marquez to get a huge money fight against Manny Pacquiao on November 12th. Marquez is already signed on for a fight against Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. However, since Marquez hadn’t fought since beating Michael Katsidis last November in a 9th round stoppage, Marquez wanted to get at least one fight in before he takes on Pacquiao.
Marquez wanted a southpaw and has got one with Ramos. But Ramos isn’t anything near the level of quality that Pacquiao is, making this fight merely a useless payday for Marquez rather than a fight where he can actually get something from the bout to get him ready for the Pacquiao fight. In the big picture, it probably doesn’t matter who Marquez fights. He doesn’t stand a chance against Pacquiao at this point in his career because he’s a little too old now and the fight is taking place at welterweight. Marquez already showed that he’s painfully slow at welterweight in his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2009.
Ramos has basically fought mostly 2nd and 3rd tier opposition his entire six year pro career. He stepped it up a level in beating Ernesto Morales and Angel Granados in 2009. However, in 2010, Ramos was easily beaten by Jorge Solis in a failed attempted to capture the WBA super featherweight interim title. Since then, Ramos has gone back to fighting 3rd tier opposition and has won his last three fights. Ramos is currently ranked number #3 by the WBA in the super featherweight division.
More Boxing News:
- Marquez: Canelo should fight Beterbiev or Bivol
- Bernard Hopkins, Juan M Marquez, Shane Mosley Elected To Boxing Hall Of Fame!
- Canelo has the style to defeat Golovkin says Marquez
- Can Rey Vargas fill the void left by Marquez?
- WBC – Klitschko, Guerrero, Marquez, More!
- Teofimo Lopez just wants to BEAT up Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Jaime Munguia in no rush to fight Canelo and GGG
- Daniel Dubois vs. Joe Joyce – NOT behind closed doors: Warren gives update
- Whyte says Andy Ruiz Jr. is a FAT coward for not accepting offer
- Danny Garcia the WBC mandatory to Errol Spence