Judah v Khan to be shown on Primetime PPV rather than Sky Sports
By Sean McDaniel: Rightly or wrongly, WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (25-1, 17 KO’s) has decided to stay with Primetime PPV and have his next fight against IBF light welterweight champion Zab Judah (41-6, 28 KO’s) be shown with them instead of Sky Sports Box Office. Khan last fight against Paul McCloskey, which was previously set to be shown on Sky PPV, was moved off of PPV when the undercard fell apart after the Tyson Fury vs. Hasim Rahman fight went up in smoke.
Khan didn’t want his fight against McCloskey relegated to a non-PPV status by Sky, as it meant less money for Khan. Besides that, Khan saw the McCloskey fight as PPV worthy, even though it was a fight that had failed to drum up much passion among boxing fans. So instead of having his fight moved to Sky 3, Khan took it to Prime where it brought in a respectable 60,000 buys. With Khan fighting Judah next, it was thought that Khan would go back to Sky for that fight, as it was clearly a PPV worthy fight and that’s where SKy was going show it. However, Khan instead is opting to stay with Primetime rather than going back to Sky. According to reports, Primetime believes the Khan-Judah fight will being in as many as 100,000 buys.
It looks like Khan is going to be sticking with Primetime, at least for this fight. Hopefully, Khan continues to fight PPV worthy opponents and doesn’t dip back into fighting guys like McCloskey, because it’s hard to see Khan’s last fight against McCloskey as being PPV worthy. Sure, Khan can stick it there, as he did, but that doesn’t mean it worthy of being a pay per view fight. It was a mismatch on paper and it turned out to be a disappointing stinker of a fight because McCloskey lacked the hand speed and power to make it competitive. When put a mismatch together on top of a weak card like the one that was on the undercard of Khan-McCloskey, it’s a bit much to ask fans to pay to see it.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Amir Khan: Joshua has to go for the KILL against Fury
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Amir Khan ready to wait until crowds come back
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism