Pascal wants a rematch with Hopkins
By Dan Ambrose: After losing to 46-year-old Bernard Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 KO’s) last Saturday night, former WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (26-2-1, 16 KO’s) wasn’t giving up in wanting to still fight Hopkins in what would be a third fight between two.
Pascal and Hopkins fought last December to a controversial 12 round draw in Pascal’s adopted home country of Canada. They then fought a rematch last night and Hopkins showed that he was the better fighter, winning by the scores of 116-112, 115-114 and 115-113.
For most boxing fans, they’ve seen enough of these two fighters battling each other. Fans want to see Pascal and Hopkins go in different directions to take on other people. Pascal clearly has met his match against the older Hopkins and doesn’t have the tools to beat him.
Nothing much would change in a third fight between them unless the fight happens five or more years ago when Hopkins has aged into his 50s. But right now, Pascal needs to move on and try to pick up some wins against some of the top fighters in the division.
For his part, Hopkins need to do his part and take on Chad Dawson and not duck this fight. Hopkins says he wants Lucian Bute, but it’s pretty obvious why. Bute doesn’t have the same boxing skills as Dawson and is much more beatable. Hopkins can see that, which is why he wants this Bute. Dawson would be a much more dangerous fight for Hopkins and it might be asking too much from his aging body right now. He barely beat Pascal last Saturday.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins predicts Joshua KOs Fury late
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Dillian Whyte previews Alexander Povetkin clash
- Eddie Hearn hoping to reach deal on Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell this week
- Wladimir Klitschko coming back? promoter Tom Loeffler wants him to
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles