Hopkins-Pascal could have special drug testing
By Dan Ambrose: According to fightnews.com, the May 21st rematch bout between WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 Ko’s) and 46-year-old Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KO’s) could have special drug testing for performance enhancing drugs by the Quebec boxing commissions. They’ are considering this special testing for the Hopkins vs. Pascal rematch, which will be taking place at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada.
Pascal has been making a big production about wanting Hopkins to agree to testing for performance enhancing drugs, saying over and over again at their first press conference together “Take the test.” It’s unclear why Pascal is asking Hopkins to take the test, as Hopkins has never shown any signs of putting on weight rapidly and has been fighting at or near the light heavyweight division for the past six years. It could be that Pascal is just trying to get Hopkins upset with the testing and hoping to get a small edge for the fight.
Hopkins and Pascal fought to a controversial 12 round draw last December in Quebec, Canada. Hopkins was dropped twice in the fight but came storming back in the 2nd half of the fight to knot it up on the scorecards. Hopkins felt he won the fight, but he was hurt by the fact that he was knocked down not once but twice by Pascal.
When you’re trying to beat a champion in his home country like Pascal, you need to stay on your feet and not get knocked down. Hopkins blew it by getting knocked down. This time around, Hopkins is hoping to take the judges out of the affair by knocking Pascal out. The odds aren’t good that Hopkins will be able to do that, as he hasn’t scored a knockout since stopping Oscar De La Hoya with a body shot way back in September 2004.
More Boxing News:
- Devin Haney CONFRONTS Bernard Hopkins after Ryan Garcia victory
- Hopkins hoping for Ryan Garcia vs. Tank Davis in 2020
- Hopkins: Wilder will have KILLER instinct for Fury rematch
- Marcus Browne exercised rematch clause for Jean Pascal rematch
- ‘Let’s do Dmitry Bivol vs. Badou Jack for WORLD title’ – Eddie Hearn
- Mike Tyson: ‘Deontay Wilder wasn’t the same fighter in rematch”
- Tonight, WATCH Deontay Wilder battle Tyson Fury 2 on FS1
- Terence Crawford could face Kell Brook next
- Badou Jack now being trained by Johnathon Banks
- Demetrius Andrade to defend against Liam Williams next