Hopkins-Pascal could have special drug testing
By Dan Ambrose: According to fightnews.com, the May 21st rematch bout between WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 Ko’s) and 46-year-old Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KO’s) could have special drug testing for performance enhancing drugs by the Quebec boxing commissions. They’ are considering this special testing for the Hopkins vs. Pascal rematch, which will be taking place at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada.
Pascal has been making a big production about wanting Hopkins to agree to testing for performance enhancing drugs, saying over and over again at their first press conference together “Take the test.” It’s unclear why Pascal is asking Hopkins to take the test, as Hopkins has never shown any signs of putting on weight rapidly and has been fighting at or near the light heavyweight division for the past six years. It could be that Pascal is just trying to get Hopkins upset with the testing and hoping to get a small edge for the fight.
Hopkins and Pascal fought to a controversial 12 round draw last December in Quebec, Canada. Hopkins was dropped twice in the fight but came storming back in the 2nd half of the fight to knot it up on the scorecards. Hopkins felt he won the fight, but he was hurt by the fact that he was knocked down not once but twice by Pascal.
When you’re trying to beat a champion in his home country like Pascal, you need to stay on your feet and not get knocked down. Hopkins blew it by getting knocked down. This time around, Hopkins is hoping to take the judges out of the affair by knocking Pascal out. The odds aren’t good that Hopkins will be able to do that, as he hasn’t scored a knockout since stopping Oscar De La Hoya with a body shot way back in September 2004.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Joe Calzaghe top five most impressive wins
- Devin Haney CONFRONTS Bernard Hopkins after Ryan Garcia victory
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract