DeGale wants Magee or Anderson for next fight
By Scott Gilfoid: Since George Groves isn’t interested in fighting James DeGale (10-1, 8 KOs) right now, DeGale is looking to go after two decent names in Brian Magee (34-4-1, 24 KO’s) and Kenny Anderson (12-1, 8 KO’s) for his next fight in September. DeGale is coming off a controversial 12 round majority decision loss to Groves from last week and he wants to get back in the ring soon to continue building towards a title fight.
Magee, 35, would be the much better option compared to Anderson, because Magee is a ranked fighter in the super middleweight division and is coming off a 10th round TKO loss to Lucian Bute in his last fight last March. If DeGale was to pick Anderson, DeGale would be getting one of Groves’ leftovers, as Anderson was stopped in the 6th round last November by Groves.
It wouldn’t be interesting to see DeGale going over ground that was already explored by Groves. The only thing good about DeGale facing Anderson would be to see if DeGale could do a better job in beating Anderson compared to how Groves fought him. Groves was dropped in the fight by Anderson and hit an awful lot.
In an article by frankwarren.tv, DeGale said “It was a close fight, a controversial fight, and I thought I won it… I don’t think he wants a rematch, because he knows what will happen. If I started faster I’d have probably had him (knocked) out…I want an American name that someone knows, or Brian Magee who fought for a world title and is European champion, or Kenny Anderson.”
I’d prefer that DeGale fight neither of these guys because it’s not interesting to see DeGale fighting guys that are coming off of a loss. I’d prefer to see DeGale take on someone like Peter Quillin, Kelly Pavlik, Allan Green or Aaron Pryor Jr. for his next fight. Those guys would give him some rounds and help DeGale grow as a fighter.
More Boxing News:
- Froch says he’d have smashed DeGale to bits
- James DeGale announces his retirement
- James DeGale Statement: Ten and Out!
- Eubank Jr. wants BIG names at 160 & 168
- Billy Joe Saunders calls out Chris Eubank Jr.
- Teofimo Lopez just wants to BEAT up Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Jaime Munguia in no rush to fight Canelo and GGG
- Daniel Dubois vs. Joe Joyce – NOT behind closed doors: Warren gives update
- Whyte says Andy Ruiz Jr. is a FAT coward for not accepting offer
- Danny Garcia the WBC mandatory to Errol Spence