DeGale should have won
By Scott Gilfoid: I think I just saw the worst robbery of my life tonight with George Groves (13-0, 10 KO’s) beating British super middleweight champion James DeGale (10-1, 8 KOs) by a controversial 12 round majority decision at the O2 Arena in London. There’s no way that Groves won that fight. We all know who the better man really was in that fight and it was DeGale.
He threw the better shots, landed the harder punches, and was the better man in the second half of the fight by far. Groves shot his wad after the first five rounds and was reeling the entire second half of the fight as he ran around like a chicken with it’s head cut off. The only reason Groves didn’t get totally spanked tonight was because of all the valuable sparring he did with American Andre Dirrell in preparing for this fight. I give Groves’ camp credit for that.
They were smart enough to realize how valuable Dirrell is and used him to help get ready for DeGale. It looked like Groves was trying to copy Dirrell’s style all night long and it times doing a decent job of it. DeGale looked unprepared at first for the movement that Groves showing. However, DeGale made the needed adjustments in the second half of the fight and completely took over to dominate the last six rounds with his pressure and harder shots.
Groves supposedly landed more shots than DeGale, but that doesn’t matter because DeGale threw with more power. He was clearly the better fighter and showed class all throughout the fight. You could see who the real winner was just by looking at the two fighters at the end of the bout. Groves was a bloody mess from head to toe, while DeGale looked like he had just had light run. He was completely fresh looking and ready to go another 12. If I’m DeGale, I’m looking for an immediate rematch. He beats Groves easily if/when they fight again. All DeGale has to do is make sure he starts sooner with his attacks, and he’s got the fight won.
More Boxing News:
- George Groves comments on Tyson Fury’s glove controversy
- Groves picks Wilder to beat Fury in rematch
- George Groves: ‘Joshua should take Ruiz Jr. rematch right away’
- Ricky Hatton, Tyson Fury and George Groves discuss Dubois vs Gorman fight
- Froch says he’d have smashed DeGale to bits
- Boxing Results: Carlos Takam defeats Jerry Forrest
- Shakur Stevenson vacating his WBO 126-pound title
- Carl Frampton to fight on August 15
- Should Terence Crawford move back down to 140lbs?
- Emanuel Navarrete set to move up to 126