Kell Brook interested in fighting Paul Williams
By Sean McDaniel: Unbeaten welterweight contender Kell Brook (23-0, 16 KO’s) is reportedly eying a fight with former welterweight champion Paul Williams (39-2, 27 KOs) this summer. It would be a great fight if Brook could get it. Williams was recently knocked cold by Sergio Martinez in a 2nd round KO last November.
Because of that, I can’t see Williams being put in with a slick fighter like Brook unless Williams can fight a tune-up before beforehand.
In other news, Brook’s contract with his promoter has reportedly run out. However, he may end up staying with him if the offer is good. If Brook were to sign with a promoter like Top Rank, however, there would be a slight chance of him possibly getting a fight against Manny Pacquiao in a year or two. But it would likely take a lot of fights for Brook in the U.S. against quality opposition before he gets the shot.
The 24-year-old Brook is a complete unknown in the United States and he would have to build up a fan base before he could get a shot against boxing’s #1 cash cow. One way for Brook to do that would be to knock off someone like Amir Khan. Unfortunately, Khan hasn’t shown any interest in facing Brook and it’s questionable whether Khan will show any interest even when he eventually moves up to the welterweight division. Brook has difficult style to solve because of all the different angles he uses to throw his shots. He could be a nightmare for someone like Khan to fight.
Brook is ranked #1 by the WBO. He’s also interested in facing Mike Jones, one of Top Rank’s best upcoming fighters. However, Brook has been waiting ages to get a fight with Jones and it just doesn’t seem like its going to happen anytime soon. Brook would be a big problem for Jones because of Brook’s boxing ability.
More Boxing News:
- Terence Crawford lists 4 guys he’d rather face than BROOK
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Kell Brook: ‘Terence Crawford is READY for fight’
- Terence Crawford could face Kell Brook next
- Kell Brook calls out Terence Crawford – ‘He’s running out of dance partners’
- Haney slams Luke Campbell over his comments
- Gennadiy Golovkin turns 38 today
- Is Ryan Garcia the next Canelo Alvarez?
- Devin Haney to be reinstated as WBC 135-lb champion
- Warren rules out Tyson Fury vs. Anthony Joshua happening next