DeGale may need to move on and forget about Groves fight
By Sean McDaniel: Although British super middleweight champion James DeGale (9-0, 7 KO’s) would like nothing better than to get his fists on unbeaten Commonwealth champion George Groves (11-0, 9 KO’s), the way that Groves and his promoters are acting, the fight might not come off. It’s gone to purse bids recently, but there’s still a likelihood that the fight won’t happen unless Groves decides to take the fight.
DeGale is prepared to take another opponent quickly if Groves doesn’t step up and take the fight. The fact that Groves and his promoters are stalling suggests that they’re not feeling confident about this match-up and don’t feel like they’re in a good position to win the fight. DeGale needs to recognize this and look to move on to fighters that are interested in fighting him.
DeGale can always fight Groves at some later point in time if Groves keeps winning. He’s going to have to takes things at a slower pace because Groves was almost knocked out in his last fight against Kenny Anderson. DeGale needs to get rid of the useless British title and start focusing on aiming for one of the world class titles.
DeGale is more than good enough to beat WBA title holder Dimitri Sartison and WBO champion Robert Stieglitz right now. Those are the guys DeGale needs to be targeting instead of taking a backwards step by trying to fight Groves. Let him be and build his record up before picking him off. It would be too easy at this point for DeGale, and the public won’t care as much as they will later on down the road.
More Boxing News:
- George Groves comments on Tyson Fury’s glove controversy
- Groves picks Wilder to beat Fury in rematch
- George Groves: ‘Joshua should take Ruiz Jr. rematch right away’
- Ricky Hatton, Tyson Fury and George Groves discuss Dubois vs Gorman fight
- Froch says he’d have smashed DeGale to bits
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall
- Hearn wants Wilder to speak up about Fury fight
- Chisora responds to Usyk while taking body shots from David Haye