Pascal says he’ll probably fight Dawson next, not Hopkins
By Jim Dower: WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal survived a scare on Saturday night when his fight with Bernard Hopkins ended in a controversial 12 round majority draw. The draw enables Pascal to hold onto his World Boxing Council title but it didn’t win him any new fans.
Pascal isn’t happy with the outcome and felt that he didn’t fight well, but still won the fight. Pascal says he’s ready to fight Hopkins again immediately in a rematch if ordered by the World Boxing Council. If not, then Pascal will move on and face Chad Dawson in a rematch because he already has a clause in his contract with Dawson that states that he’s owed a rematch.
Pascal doubts that the WBC will force him to fight Hopkins next. Pascal does want to fight Hopkins again to prove to the fans that he’s the better fighter, but it’s most likely going to have to wait for Pascal to fight Dawson first.
Speaking to boxingtalk.com, when asked if he would fight Hopkins next if it were up to him, Pascal said “Yeah, but like you said, I signed the contract so we’ll see what happens.”
Hopkins had a chance to win the fight in the 12th round but missed his chance by wasting too much time wrestling, holding and coming forward head first. Pascal landed the better shots in the round to preserve the draw. Hopkins will likely have to wait for his chance to fight Pascal. Soon to be 46, Hopkins might be better off moving on and looking for other opportunities.
More Boxing News:
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Bernard Hopkins predicts Joshua KOs Fury late
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Canelo freezing GGG out, must wait until he unifies 168-b division
- Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia – preview
- Video: Mike Tyson vs Jones Jr – Thoughts on the recent Exhibition
- Live Stream: Canelo Alvarez – Callum Smith DAZN Press Conference