Hopkins vs. Pascal: Will this be a replay of the dissection and destruction of what Bernard did to Pavlik?
By Ronald Peter: As the saying goes ” styles make fights” . On December 18th 2010, future hall a famer Bernard Hopkins (51-5 32 KO) will travel to Quebec City Canada to meet WBC champion Jean Pascal (26-1 16 KO).This has me thinking is Hopkins a genius or has he finally bitten off more than he can chew ? This is essentially a home town fight for the younger, faster and stronger Pascal but even at the age of 45 Hopkins should never be under estimated. His résumé includes wins over such fighters as Glen Johnson, Felix Trinidad, Oscar De la Hoya, Antonio Tarver , Winky Wright, Kelly Pavlik and he also avenged his 1993 loss to Roy Jones in his last fight.
The 27 year old Jean Pascal pulled a huge upset last August with a technical decision over the highly rated and undefeated Chad Dawson, a man that Hopkins seemed to be avoiding for the last couple of years, what makes Hopkins think Pascal is a good choice? In Hopkins’s last 2 fights against Ornelas and Jones jr critics have been quick to point out that his speed and skills finally seem to be deteriorating.
I personally can see this fight going either way, Hopkins did lose 2 fights to a young and hungry Jermain Taylor in 2005, if Pascal is to win he’ll have to stay on B-Hop from bell to bell applying constant pressure. I can also see Hopkins harnessing all that aggression and putting on a boxing clinic like he did against Kelly Pavlik. I find this fight intriguing.
If Jean Pascal wins he has a rematch with Chad Dawson scheduled, if Hopkins wins he could retire on top or take a fight with the undefeated 168 pound IBF champion Lucian Bute. Either way this fight plays out I think the fans are in for some good light heavy weight fights.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Joe Calzaghe top five most impressive wins
- Shakur Stevenson vacating his WBO 126-pound title
- Carl Frampton to fight on August 15
- Should Terence Crawford move back down to 140lbs?
- Emanuel Navarrete set to move up to 126
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez moved to October 3 in Las Vegas