Boxing results: Michael Conlan Stopped by Jordan Gill!

By Ken Hissner - 12/02/2023 - Comments

Former WBA interim World Featherweight champion “Irish” Michael Conlan was stopped by former EBU Featherweight champion Jordan ‘The Thrill’ Gill returning to the ring after a year in seven rounds for the WBA International Featherweight title in the main event on DAZN in an Eddie Hearn (Matchroom Boxing) on Saturday night at the SSE Arena (Odyssey Arena), Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.

In the co-feature, former WBC International and WBO Inter-Continental champion Tyrone ‘The Mighty Celt’ McKenna lost a lopsided decision to the former WBO European champion Lewis ‘The Croc’ Crocker over ten rounds.

YouTube video

In the main event, former WBA Interim Feather champ “Irish” Michael Conlan, 18-3 (9), was stopped by former EBU Feather champ Jordan ‘The Thrill’ Gill, 28-2-1 (9) at 1:09 of the seventh round of a scheduled 12 rounds.

In the first round, Gill showed more power than the busier Conlan. In the second round’s first minute, a right followed by a left from Gill on the chin and down went Conlan, who had been fighting southpaw getting an 8-count from referee Howard Foster. Though hurt, Conlan managed to get to the end of the round.

In the third round, Conlan came out orthodox with Gill drawing blood from the nose of Conlan halfway through the round. In the fourth round, Conlan returned to southpaw, outworking Gill for two minutes to the delight of the crowd. In the final minute, Gill had his was.

In the fifth round opening seconds, a lead right from Gill on the chin of Conlan buckled his knees. Conlan was able to come back outworking Gill for the most part.

In the sixth round halfway point, Gill landed a low blow, dropping Conlan without warning from referee Foster. Conlan continued out, landing Gill the rest of the way. After the bell, Conlan hit Gill on the chin with a warning from referee Foster.

In the seventh round, Gill had Conlan in a corner, first landing a punch behind the head, followed by several more punches when referee Foster suddenly jumped in, stopping the fight that seemed somewhat premature, silencing the Irish crowd.

ln the co-feature former WBC Int’l and WBO Inter-Continental champ southpaw Tyrone ‘The Mighty Celt’ McKenna, 23-4-1 (6) lost a lopsided decision to the former WBO Euro champ Lewis ‘The Croc’ Crocker, 18-0 (10)  for the WBA Continental Euro championship over ten rounds.

In the first round, Crocker came forward, going to the body of southpaw McKenna, smiling while throwing punches as McKenna countered without the same power.

McKenna, coming back after 16 months, was outworked. In the second round, both had their moments, with McKenna having a slight edge. In the final minute, Crocker threw an overhand right landing but lost his balance.

In the third round’s final seconds, McKenna landed three punches but was countered by three from Crocker.

In the fourth round, Crocker, the heavier hitter, was out-landed by McKenna in another close round. In the fifth round first minute, Crocker out-landed McKenna with headshots for the most part. In the final seconds, Crocker had McKenna holding on.

In the final seconds of the sixth round, Crocker turned southpaw, landing a flurry of punches. Both continued to mock one another. In the seventh round, Crocker’s power kept McKenna backing up through countering with less effective power.

In the eighth round, McKenna looked near exhaustion. He fought back in spurts, but Crocker’s heavier punches took their toll, wondering what was holding McKenna up.

In the ninth round, it was all Crocker with a two-fisted assault, trying to stop McKenna without success but taking another round.

In the tenth and final round, Crocker had the nose and mouth of McKenna’s bleeding landing flurry after flurry as the toughness of McKenna kept him upright to the final bell. The referee was Howard Foster.

The scores were 100-90 twice and 98-92, 99-91 KH.

Super Welter ’Black Thunder‘ Caoimhin (Conan) Agyarko, 14-0 (7), won by split decision over former British champ ‘Trojan’ Troy Williamson, 20-2-1 over ten rounds.

In the first round final thirty seconds Agyarko rocked Williamson with a combination to the chin. His hand speed is superior to Williamson’s for the most part. In the second round’s final seconds, Williams landed a solid right to the chin getting the attention of Agyarko.

From the third through the fifth rounds, Williamson kept coming forward, forcing Agyarko to be the counterpuncher with all rounds close. In the sixth round’s final seconds, it was Williamson putting Agyarko against the ropes with a flurry of punches.

In the seventh round, after a minute, Williamson suffered a cut on the left eyebrow either from a head butt or punch. In the eighth round, Williamson continued pressing Agyarko.

In the ninth round, Williamson chased Agyarko all over the ring though suffering an abrasion over the right eye and cut on the left.

In the tenth and final rounds, halfway point, Agyarko landed a combination, getting the attention of Williamson. In the final half minute, Agyarko ran around the ring showboating.

The scores were 96-94 Williamson, 98-92 Agyarko and 97-93 Agyarko and 95-95 KH.

WBO Euro Super Light champ southpaw Sean ‘The Public Nuisance’ McComb, 18-1 (5), scored three knockdowns, defeating former WBO Euro Super Light, British and Commonwealth champ ‘Super’ Sam Maxwell, 17-3 (11) over ten rounds.

In the first round, Maxwell, coming off a loss, was the aggressor as southpaw McComb Countered well. Halfway through the round, Maxwell landed the first solid punch, a right on the chin of McComb.

In the final minute, McComb landed a four-punch combination. In the closing seconds of the third round, McComb landed a right hook to the chin, and down went Maxwell, whose feet entangled together, having him complain to Referee Hugh Russell, Jr. about the call of his 8-count as the bell sounded.

In the fifth round, after a minute, McComb landed a right hook on the side of the head of Maxwell dropping him to a knee for an 8-count from referee Russell, Jr.

With half a minute remaining in the ninth round, McComb landed a right hook followed by a straight left to the chin, and down went Maxwell for an 8-count from referee Russell, Jr.

In the tenth and final round, Maxwell continued to be the aggressor, throwing wild rights, all falling short with the backpedaling McComb.

In the final minute, McComb came forward, with Maxwell throwing a rare right being countered right up to the bell.

The scores were 100-87 twice and 99-88, as did KH.

Lightweight Cameron ‘The One’ Vuong, 3-0 (2), stopped Michal Dufek, 36-32-2 (23), at 0:34 of the fourth round of a scheduled six rounds.

In the first round, the 21-year-old Vuong controlled with a jab against nearly 70 fight veteran, 40-year-old Dufek, for the most part. A minute into the second round, a right from Vuong on the chin of Dufek stunned him.

In the fourth round, Vuong put Dufek to the canvas from a right to the chin along with a push. Referee Eammon Magill allowed gave him an 8-count. Dufek was bleeding from the nose and mouth.

Vuong jumped on Dufek, landing half a dozen punches with Dufek throwing a left hook when referee Magill stepped in to call a halt.

The ring Announcer was David Diamante.

YouTube video