Abner Mares Return To The Ring Is Both Business And Personal
By Vince D’Writer: Abner Mares doesn’t have a financial problem, but he does have a personal issue in regards to his decision to make his return to the boxing ring. Instead of leaving the sport because of an injury, Mares wants his boxing career to conclude on his own terms. Therefore after a four year hiatus, the 36-year-old will resume his boxing career when he steps back in the ring to face Miguel Flores (25-4, 12 KOs) on September 4 at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, California.
The last time Mares competed inside of the squared circle, he suffered a unanimous decision loss to Leo Santa Cruz back in June 2018. A year later Mares was scheduled to fight Gervonta Davis, but the fight was canceled due to Mares suffering an eye injury during training camp.
While sparring Mares was hit in the eye and he felt immediate pain. His eye turned blood shot red, and he started experiencing blurred vision. His wife insisted that he go to the hospital to get his eye checked out, and unfortunately the physician discovered that Mares suffered a detached retina in his right eye. Mares previously suffered the same injury to his left eye back in 2008.
The former three-division champion was forced to step away from the ring due to his eye injury in 2019, but he was able to find immediate employment as a commentator for Showtime Boxing. On multiple Showtime telecasts, viewers noticed Mares wearing sunglasses, which was a telling sign that his eye is still sensitive to light. Initially Mares was intimidated by his new position, but with the help of his Showtime colleagues he was able to adapt. While doing his job behind the mic calling the fights, it ignited his passion and desire to compete as a boxer.
Abner Mares (31-3-1, 15 KOs), went through multiple eye exams and he admits his eyesight isn’t good from a far distance, but it’s good enough to see his opponent inside the ring. Mares also acknowledges the fact that their are no easy fights especially after a four year layoff. “I expect a tough fight against Miguel Flores. He’s got a lot of heart, he throws a lot of punches. Tough kid, he gave Leo Santa Cruz a run for his money as well, and I expect a really tough fight, but at the same time I feel like my experience, and the new Abner will not only surprise the crowd, but him as well.”
At the moment Abner Mares isn’t thinking about a championship or anything of that nature. He is strictly focused on his fight preparation, and executing his game plan to win his bout on September 4. However, Mares has committed to permanently retiring from the sport of boxing if he loses to Flores.
On September 4 on the undercard of the Andy Ruiz-Luis Ortiz event, Abner Mares will make a very risky return to the squared circle. He faces the reality of his career coming to a permanent end, and his eyesight being altered in a negative way. Miguel Flores denied it, but his game plan could potentially be centered around targeting the surgically repaired right eye of his opponent.
Abner Mares has a solid career job as a commentator, but that competitive spirit has guided him back to the ring. His wife and children don’t approve of his comeback, but Mares is stepping back in the ring because he still feels the passion and desire to compete in a sport that he loves. He’s taking a big risk, but he’s making a comeback attempt in order to write his own ending to his boxing career.
- Fans believe Tank Davis fighting Abner Mares next
- Gervonta Davis to Possibly Face Abner Mares In January
- Andy Ruiz Jr. says Luis Ortiz fight will show he’s going to be heavyweight champion again
- Abner Mares, says “Floyd Mayweather Jr. hurt the sport of boxing”